Broken Package - Manually Deleted Scripts - Cannot Fix

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcurran

Broken Package - Manually Deleted Scripts - Cannot Fix

Post by mcurran »

Hello:

Could someone please help me. I installed snort and it was failing to start during the bootup process, because I noticed the failed message during the bootup messages. So like an idiot: Instead of configuring snort and looking into the problem, I just manually deleted the startup scripts in init.d and every instance of symlinks in rc0.d through rc6.d. Now, when I tried to remove, reinstall, or fix the broken package - I can't get apt to do it with any success. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Michael Curran
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Broken Package - Manually Deleted Scripts - Cannot Fix

Post by Husse »

just manually deleted the startup scripts in init.d
Not all of them?? Because then you can not boot
Tell us what you deleted and I'll see what I can do
(I'm working my way through lots of posts now - no time earlier this week...)
mcurran

Post by mcurran »

[SOLVED]

I opened nautilus as root and did a search for snort. Then I deleted every file and directory associated with the application that nautilus pulled up. I then reinstalled the snort package (same exact version) I downloaded manually from ubuntu Package Search, and then restarted and used Synaptic Package Manager to reinstall and then completely remove the application again to make sure it was a clean removal. Strangely: I reinstalled the package once again, and now it's working fine at startup... I hope this helps anyone who has similar problems when breaking packages by manually deleting items such as the startup scripts, intentionally or unintentionally; however, I'm not too confident that manually deleting all the application's files is a good idea, and should only be a last resort to correct a non-fixable package.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Fine - the thing with a manual delete is that you might delete one (or more) files too much or too little

Return to “Software & Applications”