Right Click Problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Right Click Problem

Post by Husse »

Does the mouse have a scroll wheel or is it so old that it does not?
This is what I expect to see if you mistakenly click both the scroll wheel and right click at the same time
and it is consistent with hardware failure - which does not necessarily have to appear in XP
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Something similar was posted in another thread that I think may be the problem. Could be wrong though.
Do you by chance have Compiz running? I noticed that when I have it running, which is all the time; that if I right-click and I am not careful, I will accidentally hit something that I wasn't trying to.

Maybe try disabling your Compiz if it is enabled, and try to right-click again and see if the problem persists.

If that isn't the problem, then I am sure someone else here may have a solution for you.

Good luck.
robins80
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robins80 »

I have the same problem. It happens when I use my scroll wheel mouse and it happens when I use the touchpad on my laptop. How does one go about disabling Compiz so I can see if that's the culprit. I also sent e-mail to Mozilla support about this, but haven't heard back.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Right-click anywhere on your desktop, and choose Change Desktop Background, then choose the Visual Effects tab, and lastly, click the None radio button. This will disable the Compiz effects. Then just try right clicking in Firefox afterwards and see if the problem persists.
robins80
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robins80 »

dlkreations wrote:Right-click anywhere on your desktop, and choose Change Desktop Background, then choose the Visual Effects tab, and lastly, click the None radio button. This will disable the Compiz effects. Then just try right clicking in Firefox afterwards and see if the problem persists.
I did that and it seemed to work until this morning.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Ferns,

My first guess would be a hardware issue. If it isn't that I would suspect the mouse sensitivity is set too high. I don't know which version of Mint you are using but look in the desk top set-up menu and you should find a place to set the mouse sensitivity. Reduce it and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

Since I don't know exactly where it is I am sure someone else will chime in and clarify that point for you. :-)

Fred
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Control Center, Hardware section, Mouse, the preferences you want are in the first tab.
Fred

Post by Fred »

exploder,

Thank you sir. :-)

Fred
robins80
Level 3
Level 3

Post by robins80 »

exploder wrote:Control Center, Hardware section, Mouse, the preferences you want are in the first tab.
I lowered the mouse sensitivity and I am still getting the right click problem.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sorry, but those were my best guesses.

Fred
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I'm going to disable each one in turn for a while, see if maybe one of them is causing this.
That is a lot of extensions! I think you are on the right track to getting this resolved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”