Booting Slow

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
barkhat
Level 2
Level 2

Booting Slow

Post by barkhat »

I'm using Mint 6 / (dual boot with Vista). It runs just fine once I'm logged in. However, booting up is very, very slow. I don't know why. It takes maybe 3 minutes to boot up. This is the first time I've had this issue with Mint. It did not occur in previous versions. I need help. Can someone advise me please on why this is happening and how to fix it?/

Thank you! :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Booting Slow

Post by exploder »

Try turning off some of the services you do not use. For example, in Sessions I turn off Bluetooth Manager, Check for new hardware drivers, GnomeDo, Tracker and Tracker Applet. Also, I go into Services and turn off Automated crash reports support and Bluetooth device management. I do not need or use any of these and turning them off speeds up the boot process. Use your own judgment, if you use bluetooth devices then you would not want to turn that off. The things I listed are safe and will not cause your system any harm. I hope this is of some help to you with this problem.
barkhat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barkhat »

I unchecked all the ones you suggested and that helped a bit. Still...other versions seem to have been faster (or maybe I'm just imagining they were). Well...I have another issue to deal with so I'm going to post on that one. This is better than it was and I thank you for your suggestions.

:)
garda

Post by garda »

barkhat,

We need to figure out what it is that contributes to the slow boot up. There is a utility called bootchart that can help you with this. Install it and reboot your computer afterwards.

You can then see the boot up chart in /var/log/bootchart/ directory.
barkhat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barkhat »

garda wrote:barkhat,

We need to figure out what it is that contributes to the slow boot up. There is a utility called bootchart that can help you with this. Install it and reboot your computer afterwards.

You can then see the boot up chart in /var/log/bootchart/ directory.
Thank you, Garda. I'm attaching it to this reply. I'm hoping you can help me interpret it.
felicia-20090131-1.png
garda

Post by garda »

barkhat,

I am at a loss with relating what I see from the chart to your complaint. It shows that your Mint 6 install takes only 25 seconds to boot, which is pretty much healthy albeit not stellar, and nothing is wrong--i.e. all modules are loaded fast enough and services do not take excessive amount of time to start. The strange part is your disk throughput, a mere 37 MB/s for a relatively modern system is questionable enough.

There are several tricks you can try if you want to cut down your boot time a little more. But I am not posting them here, as I ended up having a crippled system after applying them and it took me nearly a good one hour to to get it back in shape. :)

I will offer a solution when (if) I come up with one.
barkhat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barkhat »

Thank you so much, Garda. I really appreciated your attention on this.

Return to “Installation & Boot”