Should there be a netbook remix?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yownanymous

Should there be a netbook remix?

Post by Yownanymous »

Well, I'd like to see one. I was impressed by ubuntu netbook remix. Maybe Linux Mint should beat them into providing a CD with netbook remix preinstalled.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Katzedecimal

Re: Should there be a netbook remix?

Post by Katzedecimal »

I and my Acer Aspire One would certainly be down with this. I ran Mint XFCE livestick on my AA1 but it did not like the AA1's screen resolution (hard to install when you can't reach the buttons :lol: )

I tried Linux4One, an Ubuntu-based remix for the AA1, but the boot time was painfully slow and for some odd reason it did not offer me any wireless at all, couldn't even find it on the network manager. But I did find the Ubuntu-remix interface preferable to the AA1's default "Fisher-Price" interface :lol: and I liked that it came with VLC as its media player :mrgreen: Easy Peasy is uuuuuuuuuuuuuuug-ly!! (Same Ubuntu-remix interface with "EASY PEASY" scrawled in huge letters across the backdrop, just in case you forgot which distro you were using... :mrgreen: ) There was a lot that I didn't like about EP, including choice of software. Then too, it's mixed for the EeePC, so there was much it didn't like about the AA1 as well *lol* So I am back to the default Linpus Light, which is alright on its own but as support for Fedora 8 falls away, more and more users are running into Dependency Hell any time they try to install a program (such as the much-loved VLC)

I have no expectations for a Mint netbook remix (a MintEEE or a Mintspiration? :mrgreen: ) but if anyone did develop one, I'd be quite happy to help test it out.
Yownanymous

Post by Yownanymous »

Well I have had the misfortune to use easy peasy. I run a Dell Inspiron Mini 9 and I do feel that the Inspirons and Aspires are being left out while everyone focuses on the Eee PC. I myself do not like the Eee because it is blocky and the hardware is very bad.

So, if I were to get the NBR packages from Ubuntu and design an artwork theme, would anyone like to test it?
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

I'll test it happily. I have an AA1 A110L, the basic Linux model with 8GB SSD and 512MB RAM (GST, PST, ABC and 123 :mrgreen: ) I have a couple of 1GB liveUSB sticks and a copy of UNetbootin and I'm not afraid to use 'em :twisted: Do you need any info to get started? Lspci?

Agree about the intense focus on the EEEPC line-up. They're trendeee (sorry...) But I can actually type on the AA1.
Yownanymous

Post by Yownanymous »

Katzedecimal wrote:But I can actually type on the AA1.
Hehe. Yeah I probably will need some help. Think I'll start by thinking up some plans and designs.
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

Well I'm not sure how much help I can be, beyond giving things a test run. I know nothing about coding or compiling. Always willing to learn though, if someone's willing to hold my hand and walk me through it :mrgreen:
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

Heck, no! The netbook remix is just too cluttered for the already cramped screen real estate. It ruins the classy and elegant look Linux Mint is getting known for. This is all subjective, but the thought of a cluttery desktop just gets on my nerves.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

I don't have a problem with the Main edition on a netbook screen, but I can see some advantage to a "Mint Netbook Remix". Mint's slab menu pretty much takes over the screen when you open it.

Another alternative to the Netbook Remix is HP's Harbour Netbook theme and launcher. The theme is "Glassy Bleu", and looks really sharp. The Harbour Launcher itself is based on using Elisa Media Center. Its nice, but I fall back to standard Gnome regardless.

My netbook:
Black Mini-9, 2gb ram, 32gb STEC SSD + 16gb Transcend, US-INTL keyboard, sgpstore carbon skin
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04.2-lpia (Dell Ubuntu) w/ Virtualbox-2.1.4 for TinyXP & Office 2007
Secondary OS: Mint Felicia (Main)

My laptop runs Mint Felicia, but for the netbooks I have chosen to stick with the stock Ubuntu because, well, it works fine already. No need to fix something that ain't broke.
mychance

Post by mychance »

Definitely. I am a current user of EEEbuntu (NBR bassed) on my triple boot Aspire One and I like the design. Although I can switch off the interface for the regular desktop, I find myself sticking with the nice and orderly icons most of the time :)
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Or follow any of the numerous online guides to install harbour-launcher from HP's "MIE OS" (psst, its really Ubuntu).
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

I don' t really think there should be a dedicated netbook distro because the newer kernels support most netbook hardware quite well (or @ least I suppose so). The problem I am facing is that some apps I use for my EEE don't support the 800X480 screen resolution and it either gets cut off or the screen moves as I click. That is the hassle I face for netbook use, not hardware support. Then again, my EEE is old enough for decent support....
PcPixel

Post by PcPixel »

Most definitely yes. I'm currently running LinuxMint 7 on my Asus Eee 1000 HEB. It runs very well, but my webcam isn't working and sometimes it is very hard to see some windows due to the 1024x600 screenn size. I'd gladly help with testing if it meant a full featured Mint client on a netbook.
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

It's a pity there is still no netbook remix of Mint, esp. an official one... Netbooks are a still growing part of the market and a one that has a decent Linux share... it'd be great to offer a Mint alternative to Ubuntu's Netbook and Moblin remixes.
PcPixel

Post by PcPixel »

I found a guide online for making a "netbook remix" of Linux Mint. To try it out, this is what you need to do:
1. Get Linux Mint 8 installed on your netbook.
2. Install all patches.
3. In the Package Manager, install "maximus" and "window-picker-applet".
4. Move the main panel to the top of the screen.
5. Remove the default task manager, and add the Windows Picker applet to the main bar.
6. Under "Start Up Programs", make sure that Maximus will run on start up.
7. Reboot your netbook.

The performance is not bad at all, and this maximizes the screen real estate for Mint. I've been very happy with it, and just recently converted a friends netbook the same way. I realize this isn't a full blown netbook remix, but it's definitely a better way to use Mint on the small screen.
Aljado

Post by Aljado »

^ I don't suppose you have a link to the guide you make reference to, do you?

TIA
PcPixel

Post by PcPixel »

This isn't the same guide I originally found, but it's the exact same instructions:

http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=35685
DasFox
Level 3
Level 3

Post by DasFox »

Yes please make a Mint Netbook Remix off Ubuntu...

I just installed the Netbook remix on a laptop and I really like this.

More choices are better for Mint! :)

THANKS
Aevum

Post by Aevum »

I love the original version more than the Netbook Remix. Everything works on my Netbook even with the Mint 8 Main Version. Wi-fi, audio, video, printer.. everything.
Plus, I'm not a fan of how the netbook remix desktop looks like. Just my two cents ^^
8andsand

Post by 8andsand »

I would like to see one. Im getting ready to pickup a netbook and would love a Mint NBE.
olligod

Post by olligod »

Netbook Remix?

Yes, we want, we want, we want!
(Me too!)

Of course the great Mint developers only have so many resources.
They do not want to spread themselves too thin I guess.
There are already some 6 Versions / Desktops in the pipeline per release if I counted correctly.

Maybe once Mint grows even bigger, and especially the number of quality developers accepted by the Mint team
into their ranks increasess, Mint can spread out even more (like onto Netbooks as well).

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”