toshiba satellite laptop and mint flickering video playback

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
baseballhunk723

toshiba satellite laptop and mint flickering video playback

Post by baseballhunk723 »

i know that this isnt a new issue but i cannot get my video playback without flickering ive tried several players like mplayer, movie player, vlc, and i cannot get elisa to work yet either and while im at it i keep trying without success to get xbmc to download and install and ive tried several tutorials for that too i just dont know but i know there is some guru out there that does help me if you can please
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
baseballhunk723

Re: toshiba satellite laptop and mint flickering video playback

and now i also cant get it to recognize my tv i have hooked up through onboard vga any takers?
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

Sometimes disabling Compiz is the cure for flickering video. At least one video player I'm familiar with has a flicker problem with intel chipset video.

The issue with the TV and the VGA connection is unsolvable due to lack of sufficient basic information.
baseballhunk723

mine has a "simple compizconfig settings manager" and "compizconfig settings manager" which one do i need to disable and how exactly do i disable it
baseballhunk723

and my video is an intigrated ati x1250 chipset not intel with the vga output only
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

to disable compiz you have to start another window manager.
for kde
/usr/bin/kwin --replace
for gnome
/usr/bin/metacity --replace
or back to compiz
/usr/bin/compiz --replace

so i expect you have used envyNG to install the ati driver.
I have not an ati card so i dont know if it has a configuration tool like Nvidia.
with xorg 7.3 it is ment to be self configuring so the xorg.conf file only holds input configuration, if that.
but i think you can still manually configure it, especially for complex configs.
you may have to google for a better config.
I saw someone recently run a command to enable external video output on their laptop, but i dont know what it was.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
baseballhunk723

so i tried typing what you told me and i think that i got the monitor thing working for now at least now that leaves all the other stuff i got to figure out

Return to “Sound”