DVD not working.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
81golfcaddy

DVD not working.

Post by 81golfcaddy »

I am using Elyssa Mint and enjoying it so far. was going try and watch a movie and got this.unable to mount location no media in drive. tried a music cd just be sure drive was working and it is. I would think there is some kind of codec issue any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
81golfcaddy

Re: DVD not working.

Post by 81golfcaddy »

this is also what I am getting when I try to open using vlc.
Unable to open 'computer:///CD-ROM%5CDVD-ROM%20Drive.drive'
I have tried all that I know which is not much. :lol:
81golfcaddy

Post by 81golfcaddy »

someone chime in and give some solutions to try. I cant even watch my DVD of the Andy Griffith show.
If it helps any this DVD player was installed after the installation of Mint. but like I said it will recognize other media just not DVD.
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

Are sure your DVD disk is OK. Can you play it in another player?

When I insert a DVD disk into the DVD player in my laptop, it is automatically detected. And a pop up window asks what I want to do with the disk (play in movie player or browse...).
I have Elyssa too.

regards
Rune
81golfcaddy

Post by 81golfcaddy »

yes It is a good disc and I tried several more just to see and got the same error message.
81golfcaddy

Post by 81golfcaddy »

this is what I get if I try to use kaffeine to open dvd
This DVD Video is encrypted. To be able to watch it you will need to install libdvdcss by running from a console: sudo /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh. In some countries it is illegal to install the decryption software without permission from the video copyright holder.
so I copy and paste to terminal and get this
sudo /usr/share/doc/kaffeine/install-css.sh
--12:45:30-- http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/ ... 1_i386.deb
=> `/tmp/libdvdcss.deb'
Resolving www.dtek.chalmers.se... 129.16.30.198
Connecting to www.dtek.chalmers.se|129.16.30.198|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 25,178 (25K) [text/plain]

100%[====================================>] 25,178 67.05K/s

12:45:31 (66.84 KB/s) - `/tmp/libdvdcss.deb' saved [25178/25178]

dpkg - warning: downgrading libdvdcss2 from 1.2.9-2medibuntu4 to 1.2.5-1.
(Reading database ... 97455 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libdvdcss2 1.2.9-2medibuntu4 (using /tmp/libdvdcss.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libdvdcss2 ...
Setting up libdvdcss2 (1.2.5-1) ...

Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

Then update will want me to install this
Library for accessing DVDs like block device usind deCSS if needed
and I will and no dvd yet.
I would pull my hair out but I am bald
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

Did you install the Universal Edition of Mint Elyssa?
The Universal Edition aims to provide the same features as the Main Edition without including proprietary software, patented technologies or support for restricted formats.

Rune
81golfcaddy

Post by 81golfcaddy »

I am not even sure all I know it is mint elyssa without a dvd player. sorry to sound ill but this is the main reason I switched from ubuntu. I was told get linux mint and it comes with all of the codecs bells and whistles you need.
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

I think this should work if you have the Mint Elyssa Main Edition installed.

Where did you get your install media from?

Could you go to the "Download" section of the LinuxMint web site, and be sure to download the latest version of Main Edition?

Have a look in the User guide and burn the downloaded iso to a CD, and make a fresh install. Then it should work, the Main Edition have the needed codecs to play DVDs. (if it is not a HD-DVD or Blue Ray disk you have?)

(You may read about many useful things in the user guide, for example how to install or remove applications.)

regards
Rune
81golfcaddy

Post by 81golfcaddy »

didnt want it to end up with a new install just to get a codec. I am sure there is a way around this other than wiping out the hard drive and reinstalling.
I was reading about the new mint version and the crazy thing is. you cant up grade you have to reinstall. that is not a up grade.
damn.
81golfcaddy

Post by 81golfcaddy »

didnt want it to end up with a new install just to get a codec. I am sure there is a way around this other than wiping out the hard drive and reinstalling.
I was reading about the new mint version and the crazy thing is. you cant up grade you have to reinstall. that is not a up grade.
damn.
81golfcaddy

Post by 81golfcaddy »

Well I did a complete reinstall of the latest mint. tried out the DVD and whamo no DVD same error. I am now letting it do the complete update and then I will check again. I am certain that this DVD player is a perfect working player. I used to watche movies on it before I also installed this operating system with this drive.
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

81golfcaddy wrote:didnt want it to end up with a new install just to get a codec. I am sure there is a way around this other than wiping out the hard drive and reinstalling.
damn.
Well, you may find all you need in the Synaptic packet manager. The trouble is, I can't pinpoint exactly what you need to add. I have always installed the Main Edition where everything needed is present. Lets hope someone who knows the difference can help you out.

You could always try to follow the guide found here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-d ... -elyssa-r1

to get the perfect desktop.

Another thing: When installing an OS, you should partition your hard drive.
Read about it here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition

This way you doesn't have to wipe out the whole hard drive when making a fresh install.

regards
Rune
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

81golfcaddy wrote:Well I did a complete reinstall of the latest mint. tried out the DVD and whamo no DVD same error. I am now letting it do the complete update and then I will check again. I am certain that this DVD player is a perfect working player. I used to watche movies on it before I also installed this operating system with this drive.
Try to follow this guide to get the perfect desktop:
http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-d ... -6-felicia

Apart from the partitioning, the guide is good.
Read about partitioning here:
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition

regards
Rune
81golfcaddy

Post by 81golfcaddy »

this is what I am getting now with VLC
Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disk "/dev/scd0".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/scd0'. Check the log for details.
lanrun
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lanrun »

Hi

When I put in a music CD in my optical disk drive, it mounts automatically as for example /media/U2.
The same thing happens when I put in a movie DVD, it mounts as /media/Harry Potter (if it is Harry Potter)..

Is it correct that in your case only music CDs automounts?

Besides, have you read this thread?:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=20366
or this
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 93#p127693

It may give some input to solve your issue, good luck.

Rune

Return to “Sound”