A child's exposure to technology...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
amenditman

Post by amenditman »

... should never be predicated on an ability to pay for it.

That's the motto at HeliOS Project.

They brought us Lindependence events spreading around the world, but what they usually do is put computers (with Linux on 'em) and internet access into the homes of kids who would not have one.

We need the help of volunteers and the community at large.

Last year over 325 computers were built from donated parts and funds then given to deserving families with kids who needed them for school work (ok, occasionally for fun stuff too). Laptops that are donated are set up on stands attached to wheelchairs.

Also, several computer learning centers are built in schools or community centers each year. Last year were mostly in heavily damaged hurricane hit schools.

The Founder and Leader of this effort is a big fan of Mint distros.

Where does all this happen, you ask?

Austin, TX. Right down the street from Round Rock, the home of Dell.

These kids are the next generation of hardware/software developers and techs, and they are cutting their teeth on Linux. Because of our support of this effort. If your town doesn't have something like this, join us and we can and will help you get one started. Be warned, this can take over your entire life.

Please check out the homepages and blog at
The HeliOS Project: News
The Helios Project Blog

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Thanks to Linux Mint Forums for a place to post this where lots of Linux folks can see it.

Blessings,
amenditman
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: A child's exposure to technology...

Post by FedoraRefugee »

It sounds like an awesome project! Do y'all accept older (but still very usable) desktops also? I will do some reading on your site today, thank you very much for posting.

It is a great idea to post this in the Linux forums, you will be seen by hundreds, if not thousands who may be interested in helping out. If you havent already i suggest you post in the other major forums also.

Thank you for your efforts, unlike the OLPC program (of which I was also a big fan at one time :roll: ) this program seems like it is actually doing something. A very worthy cause.
amenditman

Post by amenditman »

We do accept desktops, laptops, thin-clients, servers, misc. hardware components, and money.

There is a link at the main page for what we are in desperate need of. http://www.heliosinitiative.org/news.php Click on "Current Needs" on the left column.

I generally post at a whole bunch of forums which have allowed us to do so. But the main distros in use by the project are Mint, Mepis, and Mandriva. Between those three we can usually get any hardware to work.

Thanks for your interest.

Blessings
amenditman
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Very cool project. Yes, thanks for posting.

I do a little bit of this in my spare time, on a much smaller scale though. I have a family member who works for a wealthy municipality in a suburb of Chicago. A few times a year they have computer recycle day and he picks up some surprisingly good stuff. I will admit, however that I usually save the windows install and dual boot with Linux Mint.

Often times in these underprivileged situations, obtaining internet access becomes an issue. How do u guys approach this?
amenditman

Post by amenditman »

helios is the handle of our founder.

He has a way of getting folks to step up and get involved.

The local phone company provides internet access at an extreme discount. Sometimes the family picks up the tab, sometimes we do.

Check out that current needs link, there is a section which addresses our all the time needed hardware.
Maybe you could send us a few components next recycling day.

As to dual booting, we reserve that for folks who just can't live without that one windows app for which there is no alternative or which they are completely locked into. Everyone else gets pure GNU/Linux/FOSS.

We find that the kids take to Linux very fast without much training at all. Its us old windows users who have to work to be successful with a Linux migration, bad habits are hard to break you know.

Thanks,

amenditman

Return to “Open Chat”