SOLVED - Thinkpad T61p bay drive boot problems

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
williamskg6

SOLVED - Thinkpad T61p bay drive boot problems

Post by williamskg6 »

I have a very odd problem that didn't happen in Mint 5. I'm running a Thinkpad T61p with Windows XP on the main internal hard drive and Mint 6 on a hard drive in the media bay (where the DVD drive normally would go or the alternate extra battery). For installation, I took out the Windows XP drive and put in its place (internal location) the drive that I normally run Mint on using the media bay. I then installed Mint on the drive, removed it, and returned it to the media bay adapter.

To boot, during startup I press the blue Thinkvantage button and choose an alternate boot device (the drive in the media bay). This way I can completely remove the Linux drive if needed and it leaves my Windows XP install completely untouched for the non-Linux people in my office to work on.

In Mint 5, this all worked great. In Mint 6, I have the following perplexing behavior:

1. If I boot with the Windows XP drive removed and the Mint 6 drive in the media bay, Mint boots just fine
2. If I boot with the Mint 6 hard drive in the internal location, Mint boots just fine
3. If I boot with the Windows XP drive in it's internal location (where it should be normally), and boot using the media bay drive instead (Mint 6), I get this nasty error:

kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot
mount: mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static/dev failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory
Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

... then it drops me into BusyBox.

I have tried reinstalling udev at the suggestion of other postings on the 'net with no success. It reinstalls but the problem persists, but only if I leave the Windows hard drive in the internal drive bay. All I have to do to get Mint to boot out of the media bay is to remove that Windows hard drive.

Is there a fstab parameter that needs modification or something? I can work by removing the Windows hard drive temporarily every time I need to run Linux, but that's a pain. The most frustrating part is that it used to work. I'd install with all the drives in place using an external CD drive, but that axes my Windows MBR and won't ever boot without that Linux hard drive in the media bay. Not practical for the times I'd like to run Windows with the DVD drive in the media bay.

Any suggestions would be welcome and greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-Kenton W.

SOLVED

I found the way to solve this problem:

When running Mint, at the command prompt, type

Code: Select all

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/
Then, note the UUID for the hard drive that I want to boot for Linux.
Edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file so that the UUID is specified rather than a device name, which apparently is incorrect in my somewhat unconventional setup. It should look similar to this:

kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=UUID=2786b51c-0f80-4201-8303-88f66218ec1f ro quiet splash
instead of this:

kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: SOLVED - Thinkpad T61p bay drive boot problems

Post by Husse »

Fine - you have found the solution described here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
This happens with a mix of SATA and IDE disks and/or USB disks
williamskg6

Post by williamskg6 »

After reading the difficulties with using UUID, I changed my menu.lst to use /dev/sdb1 and all is well, so long as there's a drive in the internal bay so that my Linux drive gets enumerated as sdb1.

Thanks for the link - hadn't had any luck finding that before. I'm coming from a different distro and didn't know the ropes concerning where I should look for help prior to posting on the forums. Apologies for my ignorance.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Unfortunately the wiki is not so well known - maybe because I've written the major parts of it? :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”