Can't view certain sites in Mint 6, but can in Ubuntu 8.10

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
morty007

Can't view certain sites in Mint 6, but can in Ubuntu 8.10

Post by morty007 »

Ok, this is puzzling.

In Mint 6, I can't seem to watch a CNN video and go to google maps streetview at the same time. If I do, one or both will stop working. The same thing happens with any combination of video site and google maps. And 2 video sites at the same time won't work really either. If I do one at a time, it's usually ok.

However, when booting the Ubuntu 8.10 cd, I can do both at the same time with no lag or problems whatsoever. I love Mint and prefer it over Ubuntu, but might have to go back unless I can resolve this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Can't view certain sites in Mint 6, but can in Ubuntu 8.10

Post by Husse »

Is this flash?
Nah - Google maps is .... yes what is it?
CNN can be flash
I have a feeling most video problems of this kind has to do with flash - or Compiz
Try to turn off Compiz - it is turned off on both the Mint and Ubuntu live CDs
You turn it off by setting Visual Effects to none under Appearance (in the Control Center)
morty007

Post by morty007 »

Hi Husse,

I forgot to mention that I have compiz off, and it does the same thing. Can't view 2 sites at the same time. I tested it again with the Ubuntu cd and I could view multiple flash sites/videos with no problem at all.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Unfortunately this does not ring a bell (or perhaps fortunately :))
I have to think about it and come back to you
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

it worked fine on my 2 machines with base installs and no updates.
i did notice that as i zoomed the google map the video got choppy for a bit, more so on my laptop with wireless than my desktop.
it works with street view too.

I am doing this in tabs not seperate firefoxes.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Flash is choppy for me until I turn off these two settings in Firefox.

Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected attack site
Tell me if the site I'm visiting is a suspected forgery

This tweak has always fixed things up for me and I have never had any problems by changing these settings. Something else worth looking into might be to enable the backports repo and make sure you have the latest version of Flash installed. We can get this sorted out.

Edit: Make sure you have the latest version of libflashsupport installed too. I know I got something from the backports but I can't remember which packages I grabbed, it should be obvious if you enable the backports repo.
morty007

Post by morty007 »

Thanks for the replies. :shock: I turned off the firefox settings, but things are the same, even worse. Opening up streetview will shut off the cnn video. I'm using the latest flash as far as I know.

Also this site will bring my browser to it's knees. http://www.thenorthface.com/webapp/wcs/ ... ogId=10001
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Do you have the NVidea drivers installed? I just checked the site you provided and had no problems. Your computers specs are much higher than the one I just checked the site with. There has to be something we are overlooking...
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

It's late I am tired and should asleep. However, I think you may want to look at this post by clem:

http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 73#p107705
garda

Post by garda »

morty007 wrote:I'm using the latest flash as far as I know.
Just to make sure, there are three different flash packages: flashplugin-nonfree, flashplayer-nonfree and adobe-flashplugin, with the first two being the default in every Mint installation and are generally the culprits for most issues with loading Flash-enabled sites. So try replacing them with the last one, if you haven't already:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree flashplayer-nonfree
Then install adobe-flashplugin (I bet this is the one that exploder refers to). Don't forget to refresh apt package information (apt-get update) to make sure you get the latest version available.
Husse

Post by Husse »

If it was here or somewhere else I looked for the right solution, but could not remember or find it :roll:
However in Mint you can just do

Code: Select all

apt purge flashplugin-nonfree flashplayer-nonfree
We have tweaked apt so apt is the same as sudo apt-get
morty007

Post by morty007 »

I tried that Husse, and it did not help. I'm in Ubuntu 8.10 now, and for whatever reason the multimedia and google maps, CNN video and so on works alot better. I know it's weird. I love Mint but after a couple months of these problems it became a deal breaker. I still love Mint, and look forward to Mint 7. I appreciate all the help.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't understand it....
Check which version of flash you have right now and post it
That's the only thing I can think of
morty007

Post by morty007 »

Husse

Post by Husse »

Well that's the latest version
I have to think about this - I can't make sense of it
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I wouldn't be surprised if nspluginwrapper is causing this... i was having problems with flash crashing till i removed it. Purge all flash packages and nspluginwrapper then reinstall flashplugin-nonfree.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The two previous posts shows that flash is a beast
Obviously purge flash and reinstall one of the nonfree variants
morty007

Post by morty007 »

I did that Husse as well. The playback is just much better in Ubuntu, I'm stumped too but it is. I appreciate all the help.

Return to “Sound”