Can I move Grub after installation?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theonlyrealperson
Level 1
Level 1

Can I move Grub after installation?

Post by theonlyrealperson »

I'm a HUGE fan of Linux Mint, and it's now my default operating system on my laptop. I'm a newbie to Linux, and I love it.

I've been using Mint for a while now, and I've got all my programs configured the way I want, I'm using Mint's GRUB bootloader currently (still dual-booting XP).

I'd like to install another OS on another other partition, and I'd like to use the GAG bootloader. Is there a way I can move GRUB to the root partition of Mint, without re-installing the whole thing? I've looked around and I don't see anything.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bob »

Since Mint's based on Ubuntu, this thread has tips that should work for you: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=24113
theonlyrealperson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by theonlyrealperson »

Cool, thanks! I couldn't seem to find that one when I did my earlier forum search. Sorry... I hate asking questions that are already answered. :oops:
cameikle

Re: Can I move Grub after installation?

Post by cameikle »

Ummm maybe I'm spoiled... I've been using Mepis linux lately, and on hearing good things about Mint, I decided to give it a try. I was a little annoyed that my GAG install was overwritten by default by GRUB during the Mint install, without even any choices possible.
A simple interface in the Mepis install allows you to PICK WHICH PARTITION to put grub on... The MBR, or the root of the partition you have installed Linux on. The advantage I've found in the second option, to install to the root of the linux partition... is, one, that you can easily image the partition, then replace it later, with bootloader intact, thus simplifying testing a new distro, then going back to another if you like.
I use a wonderful program called GAG to pick which partition to boot from the MBR. It has many options, including booting just about any operating system on any partition, and including password protection at boot level, all in an easily configured interface.
I have messed up a mepis install once, overwriting my GAG, but then I found a GRUB installer in Mepis after it rebooted that actually allowed me to reinstall GRUB where I like it. I didn't have to research online and go to command line and hope I didn't make a typo, I just pick from the simple graphical interface Mepis comes with. Install Grub... MBR? or ROOT. With a short description of each. what a wonderful idea! I feel this is a large shortcoming in your distro for beginners use. Many people will dual-boot windows and linux before committing to only linux. I still can't get my webcam to go in linux, nor can I get the accelerated video drivers for many motherboard onboard videos. Windows is still the only option for a lot of things. I once knew a guy who ripped out his video card, bought a new one, bought a new sound card, bought a new modem... all to get linux to work. Boy was he ever devoted! Devotion beyond what 99.9% of people out there have! For the rest of us, people need options, and they need it to be easy or they won't even be bothered with it.
All that said, I'm liking lots of other things about my Mint experience, it beats Mepis in looks hands down, and it seems quicker, more responsive. There are a few really great new alternatives to M$oft, they just keep getting better, and this is definitely one of the best! Many thanks to the developers for a wonderful Distro.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can I move Grub after installation?

Post by BakUp »

cameikle wrote:I didn't have to research online and go to command line and hope I didn't make a typo, I just pick from the simple graphical interface Mepis comes with. Install Grub... MBR? or ROOT. With a short description of each. what a wonderful idea! I feel this is a large shortcoming in your distro for beginners use
You are always welcome to request good ideas here:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint

Return to “Installation & Boot”