Hitachi slave HD+initramfs solved

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nana

Hitachi slave HD+initramfs solved

Post by Nana »

Hello,
I have just installed Mint6 for the first time on a second-hand Acer Aspire E351 in dual-boot. Initially, I only had a master drive, Seagate, SATA. Then, I decided to add as slave my Hitachi 160GB IDE drive with most of my data. It was already installed as slave on a Ubuntu Gutsy on my (much older) Dell (with two fat 32 partitions).

Until then, it all worked fine, but that slave Hitachi drive made a mess.

When I boot, Felicia gives me an initramfs screen saying roughly :

kinit: name to dev t...
kinit : trying to rescue from....
kinit : no resume image doing normal boot
mount : mounting /root/dev on /dev/.static failed no such file
etc...
and some problem about /proc/modules

Here is the result of /etc/fstab with one disk.

Code: Select all

#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>

proc    /proc   proc    defaults        0       0
#Entry for /dev/sda2 :
UUID=9b3b5f30-4bd1-4a1f-a527-ef2fb3a451d2       /       ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro      0       1
#Entry for /dev/sda4 :
UUID=5ce4b25a-c560-41d5-9478-638d184ca81c       /home   ext3    relatime        0       2
#Entry for /dev/sda3 :
UUID=06f1949a-52cf-4eda-8620-0f857f0bc607       none    swap    sw      0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660     user,noauto,exec,utf8   0       0
With the slave added, and the liveCD in, it reads my slave disk as master (as sda) and my master as slave (sdb), although the BIOS identifies each disk correctly !

This is what I get (hand copied, could not save the file) :

/dev/sda1 (fat32) (=first partition of my slave Hitachi)
/dev/sda2 (fat32) (= second partition of.... )

/dev/sdb1/ (fact32) (= my first Windows partition of my master Seagate)
/dev/sdb2/ (ext 2 or 3) (=linux system)
/dev/sdb3/ (linux swap)
/dev/sdb4/(home)

And both disks have a "boot" mention.

Also, I had initially made a mistake and put in the master Western Digital disk from old computer in as slave (with jumpers as slave) and it was immediately recognized as slave. Don't see why that Hitachi won't do the same (jumpers are set according to manufacturer's instructions).

I am not too sure what I am supposed to do, and I'd rather not re-install as I spent considerable time working out webcam difficulties, flash reader pbs and also spent hours setting up an apache server, struggling with permissions.

Any idea what this slave/master reversal could be all about --technically, of course ? :D

Thank you much in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Hitachi slave HD+initramfs

Post by Husse »

You experience the problem described and solved here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
Nana

Post by Nana »

Thank you.
Worked beautifully.
Of course, I left a quote mark in... big mess. Maybe you could put that step in bold characters in the wiki (otherwise, that wiki page is absolutely cristal clear--rarely came upon such well written tech literature).
Another thing : good advice would be to make changes only on one kernel first... if quotation marks are left in, then it gets very complicated (thank god I had two kernels and had changed only one).
Mint is a truly beautiful distro. And all those codecs and things put in at install is a major relief and welcome step from a standard Ubuntu distro (but then, Ubuntu is great also to start with mostly because their forum is huge and reactive). Here in France, the Mint forum is "thin" and apparently they're changing servers... I can't wait to discover what they'll come up with.
Anyway. Thank you again.
Husse

Post by Husse »

that wiki page is absolutely cristal clear--rarely came upon such well written tech literature
:oops: :oops:
I do my best :)
I don't get where you had a problem with quotation marks - could you tell me
Well the english section of the Mint forum is rather large and active even if I would like to see more answers to questions by someone else :)
French forum - do you refer to some separate forum - we have a few of these
And this forum is to move to a dedicated server in Canada very shortly - we just must find the time to do it. Both Clem and I need to be available when it's done
Nana

Post by Nana »

Hi !
I kept a quotation mark at root=UUID="5e.........
It was mentioned in the wiki they had to be deleted... but that huge line of numbers cluttered my sight. When pretty new at all this, some recommendations go unnoticed 'cause the stress is pretty high (ie, "what are the chances I spend another couple of nights on this ?? :mrgreen: !!)
The French Linux Mint site I was referring to is this one :
http://www.linuxmint-fr.org/member/maintain.php
Thank you again for that great looking Mint.
Hope I won't have to be back on that forum too often, for your sake and mine.
(Trouble is, as newbies, answers can sometimes be volunteered on a first post... But trouble is, it usually requires some followup, new problems arising... so who is a fool enough to start helping and then let down just as quickly ?)

Return to “Hardware Support”