I Can't Boot Form live CD

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steve9199

Re: I Can't Boot Form live CD

Post by steve9199 »

TechCorner wrote:i have downloaded linux mint 6 and that was a major pain in the you know what and i burned the iso file on to a cd i know the cd works because it's say linux mint and whan it atamatically boots all i see is a black screen and my cursor i here the sound like when you login to it but that's it then nothing just a cursor then i reboot and push escape and i go into compatibility mode it works but the resolution is a out of wack and it won't let me change it and i can't install it at 640x480 cuz you can't see the buttons please i don't want to give up on mint but i am starting to get a little P.Oed at the dam thing

Been there. Question...are you using an LCD monitor? I had some issues when I tried reinstalling Mint on my desktop, but in between I had added a cheap LCD monitor and for some reason the live CD just didn't like it. I reattached my old CRT monitor, and everything came up just fine. Worth a shot.

-Steve

PS- Once it's installed, the software sees the LCD just fine. It's just an issue with the live disk.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jks45

Re: I Can't Boot From live CD

Post by jks45 »

I am/was having problems too. (And yes the CD is good, I just walked my boss through the install in a VM...he's pretty impressed how easy it was...and with the OS) But on to hardware, wiping my desktop Mint 5...

I can boot from the CD, but once it gets all the way to the install part, you can't see the background and buttons. So no problem, I change the display to 800x600. I can see! The picture is leaving distorted blotches all over the place though. It freezes in the partition screen if you try to do anything. I tried every scenario, but no go. I finally switched the Monitor, not to a CRT (who has those anymore) from Dell 19" F/S back down to the Dell 17" F/S I used to install LinuxMint 5 with no problems. ...Faster boot, but same thing, drop to 800x600, still distorted images, but it lets me make changes to the partitions...Any wrong move though, and your locked up...(like moving the pop up or editing the partition a second time....). I finally learned after the 10th try... Yes! It didn't lock up during the Install. (Sorry, I'm typing this as I'm doing the install) Work Desktop: Dell Dimension 9150 P4 HT 2.5 G RAM. Reboot.

Switched back to the 19"... nice high resolution log in screen... :shock: son of a.. same fuzzy distorted images...trying to get to video driver update before lock up... oh hell might as well run all the updates... all 251 of them...nice download time... oops... I should of did my time card before I wiped my machine... oh well... I can see what is updating, but everything around it is distorted. Updates completed. Reboot. Doh!... Kernel panic - not syncing VFS... I guess it didn't like the updated kernel 2.6.27-11. Switching back to 2.6.27-7.... we have boot. Still distorted images and background (note: the tool/menu bars are fine all through this). Activating ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver. Lock up. Reboot. 2nd Try. Success. Reboot. Doh!..kernel panic...forgot to switch to -7 kernel.

Woohoo!! Finally...everything is in order...looks good. Very Nice. :D "All is well that ends well...." or however that saying goes.... just thought I would share...
stanzavik

Post by stanzavik »

I have the OPPOSITE problem -- cant seem to boot withOUT the CD...PLUS it wont let me eject. Dont know how to paste images yet otherwise I'd show you the exact error.
marek.robek@gmail.com

Post by marek.robek@gmail.com »

I have this trouble too... Please help...

This is the last screen what i have seen during boot:
marek.robek@gmail.com

Post by Guest »

Gosh, what a list of failures - confusing thing is that they're not all of the same type.

That last one looks like I've been getting when trying to boot live CD for versions of Mint later than 4.0 (the one which will get me success). I know the more recent versions are OK, having tried them out on other hardware.

I think I can rule out the LCD displays as a source of problem - I've used three different types on different PCs with success - any problems are with the video hardware on the PC, and the way the x-server gets configured. To fix it involves finding out a bit about the hardware (resolutions and frequencies supported), and then running the config package to redo the x-server details. I've temporarily mislaid my note of the command to be used (you need to get to a command line, and preferably do it without any x-server running: the command might be xdkpg -reconfig).

When looking for a distro to use, I try a selection on the target hardware, as they have different 'weaknesses', until I find one which works (and I can use).

Derek
ocasey79

Post by ocasey79 »

i had similar error, and it only went away when i installed distro on to ide hard drive and unplugged sata hard drive during install.
Seemed to be sum error reading teh sata drive.
After install i plugged back in my sata hdd and it was able to mount it for full access no problem.

After some small issues really gettin the hang of this fine distro,
its a slimmer sexier version of ubuntu

Return to “Installation & Boot”