partition question

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cbarnard

partition question

Post by cbarnard »

Ok well I'm new here... I have been working all day, off and on on this computer... First off I have a fresh install of XP... then an ext3 partition for mint... Then the remainder I want to leave unallocated, I have 54GB to copy so I don't lose any data...
The partitioner is not letting me install, it forces me to go manual, which is ok, When I click on the ext 3 to select for install, it then states "No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu" I'm unsure what to do next any one out there that can help... ok stupid question... I know someone is,,, This community is very good. Thanks ... I'm gonna go to bed and work on this in the morning.
cbarnard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: partition question

Post by DataMan »

You're doing ok in the manual install mode. Go back to the installation up that point. For the ext3 partition that you want Mint installed to, check the partition then click the edit (or similarly named) button. You should find a pull down in the dialog. Pull down to "/". Get back to the main partition setup in the manual install. For the partition that you just identified as "/", also check the "format" checkbox.

Click the continue button and, hopefully, you're good-to-go.

Good Luck,

DataMan
cbarnard

Re: partition question

Post by cbarnard »

Thanks Dataman for your reply.
That worked... The / mark was the first one I selected, but I didn't select format so that it why it was not working... I was able to complete that install and I also installed mint 64 successfully.... I'm gonna see how they compare to each other... I have another question but I'm going to start a new thread...
Cbarnard

Return to “Installation & Boot”