New to Mint

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

New to Mint

Post by antiquexray »

Hi. Although I've been dabbling with a number of distros for about 3 years, most of that with Ubuntu, I still feel like a newbie (especially when trying to navigate directories and use Terminal).

I just discovered Mint, and at this point I'm happy with it. I'm now doing things I was unable to do since Dapper. This is puzzling since Mint is nothing more than Ubuntu of a different flavor (sorry 'bout that).

When Edgy was release I dumped Dapper and was very disappointed. I tried Freespire and subscribed to CNR so I could purchase PowerDVD. That's before I found that I could buy PowerDVD for Linux for less money. However, with Mint that's not a problem. It would be nice to be able to be able to run Window media files since so many website use it. Perhaps in the future.

Right now the only ongoing glitch I've found in both Edgy and Mint is the habit of Firefox to close while thinking it is still open, and the only way around it is to reboot. Is there a fix?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Make sure your color depth is 24 (in /etc/X11/xorg.conf). As for wmv, you can install mozilla-mplayer (which will be there by default in the next release).
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

>Make sure your color depth is 24 (in /etc/X11/xorg.conf). As for wmv, you can install mozilla-mplayer (which will be there by default in the next release).

I've done both,thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

The only other thing I've noticed is I had to really work at getting Totem to launch and play a DVD. Once it did play it was "choppy." However, since I don't know the processor speed of this box, it may be that (but I don't think so).

I have great hope for this distro, I only wish I had some talent (programming, graphics, etc.) to help make it a success. The only think I can really do now is let my Linux buddies know of this distro. I stumbled onto it on distorwatch.org.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

The only other thing I've noticed is I had to really work at getting Totem to launch and play a DVD. Once it did play it was "choppy." However, since I don't know the processor speed of this box, it may be that (but I don't think so).

Sorry, one more observation I'd like feedback on. I volume is very low. Is this just my box, or has anyone else experienced this (I'm not running external speakers, just the one in the laptop).
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

clem wrote:Make sure your color depth is 24 (in /etc/X11/xorg.conf).
Is this still a valid fix in Bea? I'm trying to play a DVD, and while Movie Player tries to do it, it does so with a psychedelic effect on top, and the Totem Splash looks like it is out of Munch's "The Scream."
ambertone
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ambertone »

The problem you speak of with firefox occurs in Windows as well.

I have Mint, Windows XP and Mac OSX in my home and have seen it mainly with firefox 2.0. on the WinXP machines (daugter has Mac, wife has XP and I use Mint, not me being greedy *LOL*)

Rod

Return to “Other topics”