Linux Mint 6 x64 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 6 x64 released!

Post by clem »

On behalf of the team I am proud to announce that Linux Mint 6 Felicia is now available in 64 bit! I would like to thank all the people who helped us test the Release Candidate and who gave us some feedback. This release comes with all the innovations featured in Linux Mint 6 Felicia and for the very first time with the 64 bit versions of the Adobe Flash and Sun Java plugins! [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=595

Clem.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 6 x64 released!

Post by darco »

Installed and running perfectly smooth!....Happy to be back w/LM!
darco
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

ossiflied65: I suspect it will be easy to port the upgrader that was made for the Main edition. I just haven't done it yet and I didn't want to hold back the release for this. I will make an announcement when the upgrader is available in the repositories.

Clem.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Thanks Clem,
running it now. Great job. :)
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Servers are gettin leaned on and it's not even on DW yet.

I just remembered this version won't qualify for a DW posting. Ladislav put the smack-down on that before he bailed.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

NoClue! wrote:Servers are gettin leaned on and it's not even on DW yet.

I just remembered this version won't qualify for a DW posting. Ladislav put the smack-down on that before he bailed.

Why not? Just curious...
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

And now it's on DW. See .............I have noooooooo idea what I'm talking about. errrrrrrrrr! Actually when the KDE edition was first released, there was some disappointment because there was no DW announcement. Maybe it's the de variants that you can't make an announcement for? A little help here!
awong
Level 2
Level 2

Post by awong »

NoClue! wrote:See .............I have noooooooo idea what I'm talking about. errrrrrrrrr!
:lol: The irony of your user name is not lost here! The 64bit version has enough changes to differ it from the main edition, but let's leave it at that to keep it on the main page of DW.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

awong wrote:
NoClue! wrote:See .............I have noooooooo idea what I'm talking about. errrrrrrrrr!
:lol: The irony of your user name is not lost here! The 64bit version has enough changes to differ it from the main edition, but let's leave it at that to keep it on the main page of DW.
What? :?
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Well I'm running the new 64 bit version and I love it! So far not problem 1!
beta_tester

Post by beta_tester »

[quote="clem"]On behalf of the team I am proud to announce that Linux Mint 6 Felicia is now available in 64 bit! I would like to thank all the people who helped us test the Release Candidate and who gave us some feedback. This release comes with all the innovations featured in Linux Mint 6 Felicia and for the very first time with the 64 bit versions of the Adobe Flash and Sun Java plugins! [...]

Just installed and running great! Many thanks, 64 bit really welcome :)

Pax et bonum (Peace and all good) john
hyperx

Post by hyperx »

Tnx for releasing Linux Mint x64! I must wait till Tuesday before i can install it. I needed my laptop for a wedding on Monday with my Windows DJ program, it works not well under Wine or Virtual Machine. I've tried already the RC1 and it works likes a charm. Tuesday is SUPERTUESDAY, and i will never go back to MS anymore (ok, except at work....)!
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 6 x64 released and tried... :-(

Post by capricornus »

I don't want to criticize, just report that while Mint 5 64 did very well on my AMD64x2 (but for a very annoying little thing with 1440x900), Mint 6 64 just won't start up, reporting a problem with memory addressing (2x1GB standard memory, working well under *Drakes and WinXP). I really tried everything, but there are not so many options. In the future, I'll stop buying AMD cpu's, but I'm stuck with this one. Just reporting, please, don't feel ill, I'm a grateful user.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

awong wrote:
Heheheheheeeeee! I was sober last night. It was a long week though.
hoe

Post by hoe »

This is my first go at a 64bit OS and everything seems to be working great. Thanks!

Wayne
PurplePants
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PurplePants »

Well, I've installed it last night and I have to say this is the first version which didn't work 'out-of-the-box' for me. It didn't recognized the resolution of my LCD screen and I was stuck with 1152 x 864 instead of 1280 x 1024.

The Nvidia driver installed fine, it just didn't give me the option of setting the resolution to 1280 x 1024. I had to manually change it by editing the xorg.conf file. Not sure if this problem was the result of you guys deciding not to use Envy anymore :(
moshbox

Post by moshbox »

I just installed this along side my Ubuntu x64 partition, and my initial reaction is wholly carp is it slow!!!!!!

AMD 64 X2 5400
2GB DDR2-800
NVidia 8100 onboard

System monitor shows my CPU averaging 40% on one CPU or the other while the system is doing nothing at all. youtube videos flicker, out of sync, latency so bad it takes ~20 seconds to pause the playback. last.fm streams ok, but CPU usage is all over the place, whereas under Ubuntu/derivatives I don't notice any activity on the CPU monitor at all.

Then I enabled compiz. Ouch. I can't even scroll a browser window without stutter. I realize the onboard chipset is less than optimum for compositing, but this is the first distro I found it actually unusable at even the leanest config.

Another issue I have is, where's the volume? I've got everything bumped to 100% and only have about 25% the volume I should. At the current settings, the audio should have me plastered against the wall! :D

I'm going to do all the system updates to see if the latest kernel, etc, makes any difference, but as it stands now the x64 version is unusable on my system. Anyway, I'm not trying to be critical, just relating my experiences 30 minutes into my install and I guess I was kinda expecting Mint to be a little leaner and faster than sluggish bloat Ubuntu has become, so its a bit of a surprise to see such poor performance.
moshbox

Post by moshbox »

As a followup to my previous post, the issue definately seems to stem from the xorg implementation. I've tried both 173 & 177 versions of the nvidia driver and the result is the same. Boot up, and CPU usage is nominal. Launch Firefox and xorg goes into eating up 40-60% CPU. Shut Firefox down and xorg usage remains around 33% CPU until I reboot.

I personally have no explanation of what might cause this, but I can say that in 5 years of using AMD/NVidia based boxes running Linux, I've never seen this before. Something ain't right here. Note that I always create a virgin user account on a new install to ensure I'm not inheriting problems from my existing /home settings.
moshbox

Post by moshbox »

Me again! Just like to report that I solved the xorg problem. While waiting for my PCBSDx64 dvd to burn, I figured confused and copied my xorg.conf over from ubuntu to see if that made any difference.

All I can say is ''Awesome.'' Its clean, its fast, and I'm running more compiz visuals than ever before on this PC. I have to admit I was minutes away from taking PCBSD for a test drive over top of this partition, but now I'm having second thoughts. :D

I'm not a big expert on X, but to my eyes, the before & after xorg.conf's are functionally identical so I don't know what exactly broke.

Code: Select all

~ $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Default Screen"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load    "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Default Device"
    Driver  "nvidia"
    Option  "NoLogo"    "True"
EndSection

Code: Select all

~ $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090208 |grep -v "^#"

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
	Device		"Configured Video Device"
	DefaultDepth	24
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
	Driver	"nvidia"
	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"
EndSection
Anyway, it's working now. I hope this helps someone else as well as the devs to solve what might have gone wrong. I think I might just spend the evening migrating my /home over here and stay awhile. lol
jibe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jibe »

Hi,

Bad luck ! I installed Felicia just before this announcement :evil:

Is there a way to upgrade from the 32bit version to this one ?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”