Xorg 7.4 gives goofy screen resolution nvidia tnt2 riva (nv)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joeham

Xorg 7.4 gives goofy screen resolution nvidia tnt2 riva (nv)

Post by joeham »

I was surprised to see that the non-free nvidia driver no longer support my old video card.
nvidia says that they will some day support it again, but its a very old card....

The nv driver works well enough, but the new version of Xorg gives a resolution of 1154x864 as default.

In mint 5 xfce you get the vesa standard 1280 x 1024.

It was necessary to manually edit my xorg.conf file and add a display subsection with the mode 1280x1024 explicitly identified.

Examination of the xorg log in mint 5 xfce and mint 6 xfce shows the xorg finds the same modes for the video card and seems to produce the same mode lines for the monitor I'm using (sony CRT).
As best as I could tell the xorg server software picks a viewport size that is smaller than it previously did in mint 5 xfce.

What is the possibility of mint 6 xfce using the method(s) previously used to make the xorg.conf?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Xorg 7.4 gives goofy screen resolution nvidia tnt2 riva (nv)

Post by exploder »

I ran into the same thing with a GForce 440 MX. The newer versions of xorg are causing the problems. I could get a decent resolution using the native nv drivers but got 800x600 with the NVidea legacy drivers. If I used Envy to install the drivers the pc would go into an endless loop of rebooting...

I think it's probably time for guys like us to upgrade our graphics cards. You can get an ATI Radeon 7200 or a 7500 for around $5.00 online and it will work with the open source drivers.The pc I had the MX 400 in is now a door stop, (mainboard failed) so it's graphics card is now officially reserved for someone's Windows machine that needs one. Who knows these old NVidea cards might work in the next release but because of their age I am not counting on it.

Sorry I do not have a better solution but the older ATI cards I mention are really cheap and with the economy being the way it is the older cheap cards still get the job done.
hopetoregistersoon

Re: Xorg 7.4 gives goofy screen resolution nvidia tnt2 riva (nv)

Post by hopetoregistersoon »

I have installed mint on a machine with geforce mx 200. Works perfect with nvidia-glx 96.43.05 drivers. Did you try using envy-ng to install the drivers??

Return to “Xfce”