Locked data partition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kaye

Locked data partition

Post by Kaye »

Hey everyone,

I just downloaded Mint last night and something strange has happened (I think). I set it up manually to use a 1.5 GB swap partition, a 12 GB Linux partition, and a 135 GB data partition. The weird thing is that the data partition seems to be completely locked. I can't access the only folder in it (lost-found) and also can't add anything to it (any action gives me a permission error). Is there some way to fix this? Or is that how it's supposed to be? I'm really new to Linux, sorry if this seems stupid.

Thanks, Kaye
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Locked data partition

Post by Fred »

Kaye,

Look in your menu and open a program called Gparted. It is a partitioning tool. Post a screen shot of your partition table and we can go from there.

Fred
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Here you go: Image
Fred

Post by Fred »

Kaye,

What this does is change the ownership of the /data folder to jordan and sets the permissions so all users have read/write access to the folder's contents but nobody has execute permissions. Since this is a data folder you probably don't want anything in that folder to be able to run, or execute. Open a terminal and type:

sudo chown -R jordan /home/jordan/data; sudo chmod -R 666 /home/jordan/data

That should give you access to your data folder.

Fred
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

The second command didn't work (it told me I was missing a parameter), but the first one allowed me to access the drive. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”