Spam alert!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Spam alert!

Post by Husse »

The forum seems to be under a spam attack
Please report (use the exclamation mark !) all spam posts, but as always ignore them otherwise
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Spam alert!

Post by kanishka »

I noticed it too. Let's keep on cleaning :x
Husse

Post by Husse »

I have changed the settings for the "captcha" to make it harder to misuse
Unfortunately it's a bit hard to use as well but if I don't do something I'll not be able to cope with "anonymous" spam
Husse

Post by Husse »

Changed back the "captcha" It only made it harder for people not spam :(
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Husse,

Is there some kind of option to the forum software that will only allow registered users to post? I have noticed that many of these spam messages are from unregistered users. I am not familiar with the functions and limitations of the forum software, but I have seen other forums where only registered users could post. While not a complete solution, it might slow the spam flow somewhat.
Husse

Post by Husse »

First off rivenought - thanks for reporting spam!
Wether to allow anonymous posting or not is a choice we can make and I have just asked Clem if we should stop allowing anonymous
We did not have the option in the previous version of the forum
Unfortunately there seems to be no possibility to use some other authentication mechanism, like the one in the wiki
What is 2 + 4? (of course varying with each attempt)
The spammers have not cracked that one
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Yes--- it has increased tremendously lately. I appreciate all the diligence on your part Husse!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I started a "spam here" thread in jest, but Fred made a very good point in it:
Spam targets are dropped if they don't return clicks. Remember that when you are tempted to click on one of the links. I know, nobody wants to admit they click on spam, but if it wasn't happening, the spam wouldn't be increasing.
To an extent spam is simply on the rise everywhere, other forums are experiencing the same, but Fred does make a good point in that, even though you safely run Linux, do not follow these links. Believe me you are not missing anything, and if you just want to see the <violates forum rules> then visit the sites on your own volition, why pay some spammer?

I have a thought, along with not allowing guests to post. One forum I frequent, a vbulletin powered forum, has an option to not allow a new user to post any links until a set number of posts have been reached. This makes it harder on the newer user, but you could set the number at 10 and it really shouldnt cause too many hardships while stopping much of this drive by spamming. This has really worked for the forum in question. I do not know if phpBB provides this option though.
Husse

Post by Husse »

FedoraRefugee I have not seen such an option and - sadly I can't find the option to turn off anonymous posting - it must be there somewhere but I don't see it :)
I have increased the time you have to wait before you can post again from 15 to 35 seconds - lets see if that makes a difference

Return to “Releases & Announcements”