Warning - update may render your system useless.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Warning - update may render your system useless.

Post by Husse »

Today I installed some updates and some of them had to do with Xserver. Now as soon as I see the desktop when I boot, gnome warns that another session is already running - closing down, and I cant get in no matter what alternative I chose (except failsafe terminal) Luckily I still have XP so I can cry out for help.
I'll try again and see if reconfigure xserver does any good.
//edit//
Nothing was changed except the updates when log in to gnome failed.
It was solved by removing beryl in recovery mode - I enabled beryl forgetting that I used the "vesa" driver :)
I think beryl has brought with it some problems making the computer somewhat unstable so I considered removing anyway.
After that I reconfigured xserver to use vesa (a second time) and as soon as I could use the desktop I opened a terminal and uninstalled and installed the nvidia driver.
Everything is back - I can even start the "Nvida Settings" under "System Tools" - beryl broke that.
Beryl has to become more developed (the version is only 0.2 something if I remember correctly) before I try it again.
One lesson is learned from this - do remember some essential commands (like dpkg -r) and/or have a dual boot so you can look them up, I remembered :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
NiksaVel
Level 5
Level 5

Post by NiksaVel »

hehe... I had some major problems with Beryl too... made me leave it far away from my comps until it gets to 1.0....
Husse

Post by Husse »

yeah
but what happened - did the update destroy my system or what?
We may expect cries for help....
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

I got the update waiting for me tonight - did not run it. The problem is not only for beryl users, then?

Only with nVidia drivers or are they some ATI users too?
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

NiksaVel wrote:hehe... I had some major problems with Beryl too... made me leave it far away from my comps until it gets to 1.0....
Something tells me this might never happen or happen years from now. Beryl strikes me as one of those open source projects that lives in perpetual beta :lol:

Maybe the remerger with Compiz will get them to have improve the quality of the code. That is unless that restricts their freedom and they decide to "fork" again :roll:
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Okay... I had a look at the Ubuntu.fr forum to see if the xorg update had made any victims there. It did. Someone pointed out that after every X update the ATI/nVidia drivers should be reinstalled, or X would crash at the next start.

My question is, should I install the X update and run envy before restarting, or do I have to wait for the new settings to load and crash?

Sorry if it's a stupid question... :?
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorensei you are absolutely right. It is recommended to reinstall after an update to X. For some reason I did not think about it and just shut down.
So I think install the updates (they seemed important - possible security risk from buffer overflow) and reinstall the drivers from envy. If you keep Beryl select Metacity as window handler and let it be so a while before you change to beryl.
Can't remember if it applies to ATI as well, but if it does it saves you some trouble if you install before shutting down/rebooting
Husse

Post by Husse »

Zone, I think you have to remove Beryl, not just disable it.
Boot into recovery mode and type "dpkg -r beryl beryl-manager" and beryl is removed. Reboot into recovery mode and run envy, first uninstall then install. I don't think you have to go through the process of reconfiguring X as I did - that was partly because the frustration made me brain dead. :)
And I just say reboot to be really on the safe side....

Return to “Other topics”