Amarok, Thunderbird, and others went ugly on me

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MissileCop
Level 2
Level 2

Amarok, Thunderbird, and others went ugly on me

Post by MissileCop »

Not quite sure what happened, but hopefully, someone can point me in the right direction.

Worked on my Elyssa XFCE for a bit today, trying to install MythTv. Couldn't get it to run, so I uninstalled it. Installed a number of #3 updates through MintUpdate a little later. Went to tinker with the new x64 release on another drive, and then came back to XFCE.

All was not wonderful in Oz, when I came back to XFCE. Links on the desktop to other partitions had disappeared. Clicking on Amarok, it acted like it was being installed for the first time. Playlists were gone. Opened up Thunderbird, and it wanted to set up a new profile, so I cancelled out of the setup. The user profile under .mozilla-thunderbird is only showing 3.6 Mb's, and I know that it should be MUCH larger.

I'm starting to wonder if MySql somehow went flaky. If it did, I could understand why Amarok went bad. Anyone know if Thunderbird goes through a MySql database? Still have no idea how I might have lost the desktop links to my other partitions. I'm not overly familiar with MySql, so I don't know how large a part it plays in Linux.

Any and all ideas are welcome. I'm going to call it a night, and come back to this with a fresh mind in the morning. Thanks for any and all ideas.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Amarok, Thunderbird, and others went ugly on me

Post by Husse »

Thunderbird does not even use a database - it stores mail in a bunch of files
It seems to me that you deleted a bit too much when you uninstalled MythTV
There is no way I can tell you what happened here unless I'm sitting in front of your computer, and even then it might be impossible
(Un)installing something should not have an impact on saved data especially if it's a completely different application
Sorry....
Go through your home folder bit by bit, perhaps you find the missing files somewhere
Also check that the profile used by Thunderbird is the right one (google Tbird and profile and you'll find out how to do it)
Boot in recovery mode and run a disk check (fsck) - I think there's an option for that (there is one at least in Felicia)
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Could be something with the theme you're using.
Try a different one.
MissileCop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MissileCop »

Thanks for the information, Husse, and Merlwiz,

As I've found over the weekend, my modem started to exhibit intermittent connectivity problems, and I had to buy a new one yesterday. So I wonder if something went FUBAR, and the connection dropped during the middle of installation/removal. I uninstalled MythTV through Synaptic, and haven't had a problem with it before, but there's always a first time for everything.

I don't use any special themes. The most I have done in the past is change the desktop wallpaper. Anything that doesn't appear to be fairly straight-forward, or seems to have had many installation complaints, I don't even look at. I didn't see any major issues with MythTV, so gave it a shot.

I'll do the recovery mode and fsck. I didn't think that Thunderbird uses a database, but as with many things, there are things running in the background that we don't always see. (Shudders at the remembrance of Windows background processes :shock: :lol: )

I looked through the .mozilla-thunderbird directory, but only found that one profile. I'll see if I can find another profile that is hiding out.

As I always say, everything happens for a reason, even if we may not always understand at the time the reason why something happens.

Thanks again.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Google for thunderbird and move profile and you'll find out how to open the profile manager
If there is/was another profile you'll see the path there

Return to “Xfce”