2.6.20 Kernel on Bianca

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
adewolf
Level 1
Level 1

2.6.20 Kernel on Bianca

Post by adewolf »

Hello all:
I have a Sprint USB wireless modem that is supported in the 2.6.20 kernel. How can I get the 2.6.20 kernel installed and working on my Bianca install.

Alex
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's in the Ubuntu repos, but maybe Clem has some opinion on istalling it. Anyway the restricted modules seems not to be there, haven't look i to it deeper
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

clem doesn't even run the 2.6.17.11 kernel, he has not updated the install one.
I could be wrong but i read in a post from him to do with wireless problems.
:?
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well it's possible to upgrade and in most cases things should be fine.. but unless you have a good reason to do so (some hardware you have only being recognized in 2.6.20) I would strongly suggest you keep 2.6.17-10.

A lot of people reported hardware problems after they upgraded to 2.6.17-11.

In Cassandra we're even thinking of "holding" the kernel (meaning kernel upgrades would be ignored by an apt-get upgrade).

If you think of it, and although I'm sure 2.6.17-11 has some significant improvements over 2.6.17-10, the whole Edgy release was built and tested with this kernel. It's alright to get upgrades and have things break now and then (I remember the Firefox upgrade broke flash and mplayer plugins for instance) but not if it affects the kernel and the hardware that is directly supported by it.

That's just my opinion of course, some people like to have the latest version. Personally I only take upgrades when they bring me something I need.

Clem
adewolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adewolf »

Merci Clem. BTW, I am going to Albi, France for a concert (Magma, Present) on April 11...

I will try the 2.6.20 kernel from the repos. Thanks everyone.
On last question, how does one get a vinalla kernel from kernel.org to compile and install properly in grub. I tried the kernel.org 2.6.20 a month ago and got kernel panics unable to mount the root device. What device does an SATA drive look like to grub for the device name (hd0,0)???

Alex
justo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justo »

clem wrote:Well it's possible to upgrade and in most cases things should be fine.. but unless you have a good reason to do so (some hardware you have only being recognized in 2.6.20) I would strongly suggest you keep 2.6.17-10.

A lot of people reported hardware problems after they upgraded to 2.6.17-11.

In Cassandra we're even thinking of "holding" the kernel (meaning kernel upgrades would be ignored by an apt-get upgrade).

If you think of it, and although I'm sure 2.6.17-11 has some significant improvements over 2.6.17-10, the whole Edgy release was built and tested with this kernel. It's alright to get upgrades and have things break now and then (I remember the Firefox upgrade broke flash and mplayer plugins for instance) but not if it affects the kernel and the hardware that is directly supported by it.

That's just my opinion of course, some people like to have the latest version. Personally I only take upgrades when they bring me something I need.

Clem
<< Some weeks ago I made Mint Bea CDs and loaded them on a PC or two.I liked Bea.Then Bianca came so I replaced Bea. All was well untill some updates became available.I took them and my Netgear MA 311 wireless signal failed.I reloaded them and the card worked.I took updates and lost the wireless.I took all the Mint loads out of the PCs. So how can I avoid the update with the wireless crasher? Is it on the DVD that I am downloading now?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The KDE Edition comes with 2.6.17-10, Knetworkmanager, Wireless Assistant and KWifiManager so you should be ok.

Clem

Return to “Other topics”