An odd sound issue just popped up!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gort

An odd sound issue just popped up!

Post by Gort »

Hi All

Yesterday, something odd happened. I use Miro to watch some internet TV shows and I usually plug in my headphones to listen because the rest of the family is watch TV. Yesterday, Miro locked up and I had to kill it. After that point, when I plug my headphones in, sound come out of both the regular PC speakers and the headphone jack. Is there a setting somewhere that needs to be reset to fix this?

Thanks

EDIT:
I think I should add that I am running Mint 6.
I have also done a bit of googling and I have seen mention that there is a Headphone Jack Sense option in gnome-volume-control. I don't seem to have it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: An odd sound issue just popped up!

Post by Husse »

Seems odd - have you rebooted?
Can be something in RAM that needs to be purged
Tell us about your hardware - run lspci in a terminal and post
Also tell su laptop/desktop - model
Gort

Post by Gort »

Hi Husse

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I have rebooted and the problem persists. I have a desktop - it is an HP Pavilion a6050y. I have done alot of googling and quite a few ubuntu laptop users have this issue. There didn't seem to be any consistent answer. I know that it is not a hardware issue because I dual boot. I may try to re-install the whole system but it would be great if I could avoid that.

Code: Select all

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GH (ICH7DH) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA RAID Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8400 GS (rev a1)
02:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW323 (rev 70)
02:04.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23418 Single-Chip MPEG-2 Encoder with Integrated Analog Video/Broadcast Audio Decoder
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) LAN Controller (rev 01)
 ~ $ 
Husse

Post by Husse »

You have ICH7 sound. this solution is for ICH8 but I think it works for ICH7 equally well
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... sa#p107982
Of course you may have to change model=acer to what ever you have or model=auto
This seems to be a swiss army knife for sound....
Gort

Post by Gort »

Thanks Husse

No luck yet. Is there a site that has a list of all of the options for "model="?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Don't know
There is a link to a somewhat more elaborate solution in that post - I thought it was to the major sound topic, my mistake
I'll find it and add the link

Return to “Sound”