Back up using a partition

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
netguz

Back up using a partition

Post by netguz »

Hello all

I WANT to upgrade to 6 I can play but I can´t burn DVDś and CDś only occasionally, plus its about 15GB worth.

I´ve got about 30GB free on my 80GB - can I create a new partition, back up there and then install 6 using a custom partioning?

Just in case: Dell 4550, 1GB RAM, Sony DVD, GeForce 6200.

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
internetSurfer

Re: Back up using a partition

Post by internetSurfer »

Hello,

I don't see an issue with doing a backup and upgrading to Linux Mint 6. :roll:

If you do want to install Linux Mint 6 on your HD here are some resources to assist.
Modify Your Partitions With GParted Without Losing Data
http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

GParted Live CD/USB/PXE/HD
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
Mint 6 && XP Pro && Win 7 Beta installed on one HD with no issues.

The order of install: XP > Win 7 > Mint 6
Last edited by internetSurfer on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
joeham

Post by joeham »

I agree, it should be fine especially if you use something with compression to make the backup.

Just be careful that when the installer detects and lists the partitions, that it does not make any mistakes in identifying them.

I had an occasion where I confused the installer somehow, and it got the sda and sdb disks and partitions mixed up.

I find that making a list of them and sizes of them before hand cuts down on the fear factor.

The other tip is to back up your MBR and partition tables, along with any grub info like menu.lst that you may have customized.

If you reformat the partition you are going to install in, it will affect the UUID. That means fstabs and menu.lsts potentially.
netguz

Post by netguz »

Thank you both very much.

I´ve just got to brave enough to actually do it!
netguz

Post by netguz »

Where does all the time go!

About a month ago I was talking to a friend of friend who works in IT and eventually the conversation came round to computers and I poured my heart out!

His advice was to clean the DVD drive and check that my BIOS was up to date. One 'Hama' DVD cleaner and I could burn CD's reliably, but not DVD's.

BIOS. hmmm, yuk, here we go!

My Dell BIOS was version A01, off to DELL and A08 is available, whoops!

I tried to upgrade using DELLs guide and it found the upgrade, but wouldn't install it. Google provided many different ways of doing the update, but all seemed well beyond me. Then I found:

http://danlynch.org/blog/2009/01/upgrad ... 1330-bios/

Thank you Dan. I had to go from A01 to 2, to 3 etc but it worked, I can now burn DVD's. I installed 7 over the weekend and, sorry, IT'S GOOD. Everything works a treat, and seemingly faster than 5.

Thanks very much to all concerned.

:)

Return to “Xfce”