Firefox Chrashes When I Open This Link!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rivenought

Re: Firefox Chrashes When I Open This Link!

Post by rivenought »

I just tested this with my system. The website loaded up with no error messages of any kind. It loaded normally, as far as I can tell. I just wanted to let you know so you might investigate what is wrong on your end.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

Short of uninstalling and reinstalling, have you cleared the Firefox cache, deleted the hidden .mozilla file in your /home folder, rebooted, etc.?
garda

Post by garda »

You can always run Firefox from the terminal to get an idea of what it is that causes the crash. So execute this command (in terminal):

Code: Select all

firefox
Visit the site again, then have a look at the outputs in Terminal after it crashes. You can also post them here, if you need more eyes to look at it.
goldstar1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by goldstar1 »

I'm having the same problem.

I just installed x_64 and Firefox crashes when I visit any links at msn.com. It doesn't seem to be a flash problem, I can play videos at foxnews.com without incident. I installed Opera and it doesn't seem to have any problems with the links at msn.com.

from the terminal...

george@georges-desktop ~/Desktop $ firefox
Illegal instruction
george@georges-desktop ~/Desktop $
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I noticed "IcedTea" mentioned above. You are still using the RC1 version, right? I moved on over to the stable version that has the Sun Java. Though I did not have any problems with the RC1, you might consider moving over to stable. Not sure if that will fix your problem, but it just might work.
mercier

Post by mercier »

from my experience with both firefox and mint6 x64, i think that the problem is in firefox and not in mint. someone suggested that you delete firefox profile, and start firefox again. also, maybe you have an add-on that doesn't agree with that site.

don't give up on mint for wrong reason ;)

update: now i saw that you tried with a clean profile and that issue might be with the icedtea thingy...still, maybe an add-on might be a culprit...
Last edited by mercier on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
jojo1028
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jojo1028 »

Hi,

Does it crash with another browser like opera ?
mercier

Post by mercier »

ok. what does synaptic tell you about icedtea-plugin? i opened synaptic , and i see that icedtea-plugin is not installed.

icedtea-plugin:

web browser plugin based on OpenJDK and IcedTea to execute Java applets
IcedTeaPlugin is a web browser plugin to execute Java applets, supporting
LiveConnect/Javascript. It is targeted for xulrunner-1.9 and compatible
browsers that support the NPAPI.

Icedtea is a temporary fork of OpenJDK
if you have it installed, i would try to remove it, and see what happens. apparently i don't need that plugin, maybe you don't need it either...
Fred

Post by Fred »

kasperbs,

Just another example of what I was referring to in the other thread that I commented on regarding 64 bit systems and user software. :-)

Fred
garda

Post by garda »

I second Fred's oppinion. Try to query those error messages in Google, most results point to the immaturity of Firefox on x64 flavors of Linux. So if there is no urgent need to use 64-bit operating system, I suggest switching to a 32-bit version instead.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

If you haven't done so, try what Shane suggested in this post.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22040
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I did a clean install from the RC1 to the stable version of Mint 6 64-bit. I did not carry over any Firefox settings except for my bookmarks. Maybe that is why I am having absolutely no problems with Firefox and Flash. I just know I am having excellent luck, thus far anyway.

Even though I do not have an actual need for 64-bit, my hardware seemed to desire it. Granted, I have the basic entry-level specs for running a 64-bit operating system, and I would probably be fine with running 32-bit. However, after my problems with 32-bit ( http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=21088 ), and the 64-bit version running like a champ, perhaps I actually did need 64-bit in combination with my finicky hardware.

I agree with Fred and Garda in regards to weighing your needs with 64-bit. My hardware made the decision for me, so if it is happy, then I am happy. We all know how bad your day will be when your hardware is not happy.
garda

Post by garda »

mint-flashplugin-x64 is just an officially packaged version of the x86-64 variant of adobe-flashplugin for Linux -- which is still in pre-release state and distributed by Adobe in a tarball. You may remove the said package and install adobe-flashplugin from Adobe Labs' download page in place of it, but I doubt that will change anything since the binary files from both sources have the same version number (obviously): 10.0.21.1.

That is why, as I said earlier, if you see either Flash or Firefox or both as something important to your web browsing needs, stick with the 32-bit variants of those softwares.
garda

Post by garda »

Yes, you should. Flashplugin-nonfree and flashplayer-nonfree are problematic on 32-bit Mint systems as well but adobe-flashplugin generally performs much better. But you do not have to download the plugin from Adobe's site as there is already an up-to-date version available in the repository. These commands should do the chores for you:

sudo su

apt-get --purge remove flashplayer-nonfree flashplugin-nonfree; apt-get update; apt-get install adobe-flashplugin; exit

Return to “Software & Applications”