just wondering...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FedoraRefugee

Re: just wondering...

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Just what...do you mean...by an alternate...instalation CD? Did you look...at the fluxbox...edition? It was designed...to run...on very limited...resources. Alternatly...You mat also look...at...the Xfce spin...in which forum...you posted...this.

BTW...Why...are we talking...like William Shattner? :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

I believe he means a text-based install like Ubuntu.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I must be showing my age, but it just gripes me to see someone who obviously knows English to abuse it. No complete sentences, no complete thoughts, no capital letters, intentional misuse of words, and no punctuation used. Compare that to many posts where the poster obviously doesn't speak English very well. They struggle, apologize, and spend and inordinate amount of time trying to express their thoughts as properly as they can. Guess which poster I am most likely to answer and spend the most time with? :-)

I guess some think it is cool and trendy. It is not!

Rant off! :-)

Fred
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

You may...take a look...at this site:

http://www.zyxware.com/articles/2008/12 ... text-based

I dont...know....if that will...solve your...problem. If not...then there are...plenty...of other...distros...that will run...on...limited resources. Try...one of these. I suggest...puppy linux...or...DSL.

edit: BTW, and getting back to earth on the typing, I cannot feel for anyone trying to use anything less than 256MB. Trash it already, it is a doorstop or an anchor. You can build a brand new dual core with 4GB RAM for less than $300 American. There is no excuse for Clem to have his attention diverted by 20th century junk. :D
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I tried to make an alternative install cd once and it took for ever to get the packages to install and was over 700MB.
This didn't even have everything that was installed in xfce ce.
It took for ever to make sure I had the dependencies correct also.
I may take a look again when I have some time, but it looks like that's going to be limited too.
After this release I have to get working on grub-gfxboot and then I want to make a tool to make your own gfxboot theme.
I also want to start work on trimming the live cd since the final will be 697MB.

Return to “Xfce”