never download again

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
tawan

never download again

Post by tawan »

idea when computers get faster and bandwidth is too expensive...

You download a byte size and checksum, your computer then makes files of that size until it hits the checksum, then you have the file without ever downloading it...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: never download again

Post by Fred »

phonicboom,

Very interesting concept. :-)

Fred
Yownanymous

Post by Yownanymous »

That's brilliant! Make sure Microsoft or Apple never read this, lest they steal it! :lol:
tawan

Post by tawan »

As I posted this idea on a few forums I have had various responses.

With adaptation there is a possible solution. We do not just send byte length and checksum, we also send clues.

We send the file type to be produced, the byte length, the checksum, the first and last few characters(?), a 1 or 0 to show if 1 or 0 is more common in the file, and well anything that would help the generating algorithm on the local computer to attempt more suitable guesses.

Like if I had a 6 sided dice in my hand I do not ask you (the algorithm) to bother with colours, numbers above 6, letters of the alphabet, animals, vegetables or politicians. I give you a much better chance of getting the answer.

So in the case of a file I say. It is a .png, 4370120bytes, checksum blablabla, starting with a 1 and mainly 1's.

..obviously I don't really know what I'm talking about ;) but I feel the idea has legs if people add such ideas to the basic premise.

Fred

Post by Fred »

phonicboom,

I think you might actually have something there. It would take a lot of processing power to pull it off, but I suspect that will come in due time.

I would recommend you write up something formal, maybe with the help of an attorney and go to the trouble to get it published in some periodical or university journal. Keep a few copies in a lock box somewhere just in case. Who knows what the future may bring. It would be a shame for some big company like Microsoft to come out with something along those lines 10 years down the road and you not even get a thank you or cup of coffee for your idea. You would at least be able to keep it from being patented and the community not having access to it.

Fred
tawan

Post by tawan »

Hi Fred, I have been in this position before and stumped my chances of owning the idea by releasing it into the public domain.

I was told you must do all that before even letting your cat know you have an idea..

I wonder if I could just write the concept down and give it a GNU or CC licence so any work done in the future would at least have to be free and open?

Is there an attorney in the house?
Fred

Post by Fred »

phonicboom,

Can't help you with the legal aspects very much. Having had to deal with attorneys more than I wanted over the years, I can tell you they are a lot like women. They are expensive and a general pain in the butt, but they come in handy from time to time and as time goes by you find it increasingly more difficult to do without one, or two or three for some rich, brave souls. :-)

Fred
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Would this function be handled by the SPPH (self propagating package handler) which would be the front end for the PPE (package propagation engine)?
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

This could never be useful.

Take for example simple checksums where you just add the files. And lets say (base 10 for now) that the checksum is by favoriate number 43.

Possable combinations of 42 include
41+1
40+1+1
(42-n)+1*n

or
other easily representable forms from by head.
5*4+2
21*2
84*0.5
168*0.25
80*0.5+2

Although hashes or checksums are used to identify individuality of a file, it does not represent any particular representation of the file. Thus the algorithm used to create is answer is not reverse engineer-able.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Have you never heard the old saying, "hope springs eternal"? There is no forecasting what might be possible 10 years from now. A little dreaming never hurt anyone. :-)

Fred
tawan

Post by tawan »

Fred wrote:Have you never heard the old saying, "hope springs eternal"? There is no forecasting what might be possible 10 years from now. A little dreaming never hurt anyone. :-)

Fred
thanks Fred :)

An idea from else where is to provide;

checksum, byte length, a small part of the file.

Bill Gates

Post by Bill Gates »

Very good, I am going to steal this idea :twisted:

-Bill Gates
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Bill Gates wrote:Very good, I am going to steal this idea :twisted:

-Bill Gates
Good, windows will build it's own trojans.

Return to “Open Chat”