Multimedia blinking when "Visual Effects" not set on None

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nickpick

Multimedia blinking when "Visual Effects" not set on None

Post by Nickpick »

Hi!

I'm running Daryna with an ATI X1400 Mobility Radeon. Every time I set the "Visual Effects" under "Apperance" on anything other than "None" all my video-play back, and games, start flickering (i.e. 1/4 of each second they turn completely back). Any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Multimedia blinking when "Visual Effects" not set on None

Post by rivenought »

I just keyed x1400 in the search box in the upper-right corner of the page. There are plenty of threads and posts turning up. You may wish to research further in that area since there seems to be more people who have previously had the same issue as your are experiencing. You will probably find a quick and easy fix. Good luck!
Nickpick

Post by Nickpick »

Solved by installing Elyssa.:D
Husse

Post by Husse »

And the problem was compiz with the ATI driver pre Elyssa
Nickpick

Post by Nickpick »

Husse wrote:And the problem was compiz with the ATI driver pre Elyssa
The new controls are quite amazing though. Makes me love this OS even more.:)

EDIT: Actually it does still seem to happen with certain video playback programs.:P
Husse

Post by Husse »

It's a well known problem with compiz - but as long as it's easy to switch on and off I think it's something you can live with
Nickpick

Post by Nickpick »

Husse wrote:It's a well known problem with compiz - but as long as it's easy to switch on and off I think it's something you can live with
Seems so. It seems to work fine enough with VLC and MoviePlayer now. The only program, I've experienced issues with so far, was Zattoo and even then, it worked fine with full-screen on. It's no big issue.

On the other hand, is there anyway I can configure the Compliz to turn of when I execute a specific program and then turn back on, once the task is terminated? Just curious. 8)
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

How does one turn off compliz
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

One way to turn off Compiz is: System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects tab > set to None.
dnmint

Post by dnmint »

rivenought wrote:One way to turn off Compiz is: System > Preferences > Appearance > Visual Effects tab > set to None.
Are there other ways of doing it. I had selected None visual effects. This stopped my Desk top moving across the cube when I scroll the mouse.I presume this will also prevent my making any other settings on the system.
I want to make changes to Visual effects but keep Compliz turned off.
Any mehods of doing it
Thanks
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

dnmint,

Compiz is what gives you all the snazzy eye-candy effects. If you turn it off, you do not get those snazzy effects anymore.
-al-

Post by -al- »

I had this issue in felicia (LM6), i was using compiz-fusion to quickly shut down compiz when i was watchin video. However the installation of the latest ATI drivers seemed to have completely resolved the problem.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Interesting
the latest ATI drivers
Which ones?
We are many with ATI cards :)

Return to “Sound”