INTERNET CONNECTION IN LINUX MINT

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mkvnmtr

Re: INTERNET CONNECTION IN LINUX MINT

Post by mkvnmtr »

Look into port fowarding like they do for torrents and some games. The first step is setting a static address. I believe you can do that yourself.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Try an experiment:

Open Terminal
Type ping www.cnet.com

You'll have to press Ctrl and c to stop the process BTW. If you get no output try this:

Type ping 216.239.122.178

That's the actual IP Address for cnet.com. Do you get any output now? It may be an IPV6 problem or the DNS Name Servers that's the problem.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Have you tried the following:

sudo pppoeconf

I'm throwing out anything I can remember in case you haven't noticed.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Since you haven't posted back I'm guessing you are still having problems. I do have one long term suggestion for you that isn't going to help with your immediate problem but might be something for you to consider. Buy a router. There are 2 district advantages to having a router:

(1) Although my router installed without incident you may have to spend some time to get yours configured properly but once it's done you'll never have to do it again. Every OS I've installed found the network without configuration of any kind. There is no dialer to set up in the OS because the router dials your ISP with the userid and password automatically.

(2) Security. The router acts as a hardware firewall.
The following explains how a router acts as a firewall:

http://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm
A NAT Router's Inherent Security
Although NAT routers are not generally purchased for their security benefits, all NAT routers inherently function as very effective hardware firewalls (with a few caveats examined below). As a hardware firewall they prevent "unsolicited", unexpected, unwanted, and potentially annoying or dangerous traffic from the public Internet from passing through the router and entering the user's private LAN network.

The reason they do this is very simple: With multiple "internal" computers on the LAN behind the router, the router must know which internal computer should receive each incoming packet of data. Since ALL incoming packets of data have the same IP address (the single IP address of the router), the only way the router knows which computer should receive the incoming packet is if one of the internal computers on the private LAN FIRST sent data packets out to the source of the returning packets.
I bought my router ( DLink DI-604 ) when I only had one PC for about $12. Never had a problem configuring or connecting to my DSL ISP on any OS install since then. It was well worth the $12.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Mine is a wired router and I don't think its sold anymore but others are being sold.

To give you an idea of how to get a router to connect to the modem I attached a screenshot of how DLink does it This isn't mine but all DLinks look like this. You type in your username and password, accept all the defaults and click "Apply". That's it.

It would be a shame if you find Mint or any other distro as perfect except for the DSL problem. This way it's no longer a stumbling block.

Return to “Beginner Questions”