Gedit Bug? [CLOSED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Gedit Bug? [CLOSED]

Post by altair4 »

I don't know if this is a bug or my own incompetence because I'm new with gnome.

I'm using gedit to edit a text file in a remote share ( actually a Windows share from a Mint guest in VirtualBox - but it's using samba to do that ). When I try to save it I get the following error:
"Could not save the file ....... "
"Unexpected error. Text file busy"

I spent a considerable amount of time trying to figure out if this was some kind of permissions or network ( VBox ) problem. Then I decided to use another editor - leafpad. Opened the same file, made the same changes, and it saved without errors. I immediatley opend it up with gedit and again got the error above.

Is this a known problem with gedit or is there some setting somewhere I'm not aware of?

Needless to say , leafpad has become my new editor :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Husse

Re: Gedit Bug?

Post by Husse »

That's strange
I'll see if I find something when I have more time - it's solved for you so I see no reason to hurry
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

I've had strange problems with Gedit in the past.
Now I mostly use nano/pico. Mousepad is also good
Husse

Post by Husse »

I won't dig to deep into this but it could have something to with Gedit not removing temporary files
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Thanks for looking at this. That's interesting and come to think of it I'm used to linux always creating a backup copy of all edited files ( i.e., textfile and textfile~ where textfile~ was the original before I edited it ) but that seems to be missing in Mint. I wonder if this is related?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Husse

Post by Husse »

If my memory serves me right we stopped that in Elyssa - it soon fills up the disk with ~files no one ever uses
But I may be wrong
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Thanks for all your effort. I'll list this as [CLOSED] as apposed to [SOLVED] since I have a workaround. As a side note I did manage to add backups automatically to gedit: Edit > Preferences > Editor > check " Create a backup copy of files..."

This has saved me in the past when I start messing with system config files and I'd just as soon have it there to compensate for my lack of discipline.

Return to “Beginner Questions”