Master Volume Only works at 80 and above

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
srkelley

Master Volume Only works at 80 and above

Post by srkelley »

In Linux Mint Elyssa and Felicia I can only hear sound when theMaster Volume is set between 80-100%. Anything lower and it's gone. The sound also has huge jumps in volume when moving just 1% so I'm guessing that it somehow has a 1-20 scale for sound adjustment that works between 80-100? My speakers are up their max, only this system, ubuntu, and ubuntu based os's have given me this problem so I'm guessing that it's a problem from Ubuntu.

I searched the forums here and on the Ubuntu forums and didn't find anything. I tried a few searches, but may have been looking for the worng thing. Can anyone help me out here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Master Volume Only works at 80 and above

Post by Husse »

You have to tell us more facts.
The minimum is exactly which Mint you have - which version and which edition (main or any of the CEs)
We also need to know a bit about all your hardware.
Run " lspci " in a terminal and post here (To copy from a terminal right click)
Some wifi and possibly built in sound can be connected to USB even if they are internal - if you suspect you have one of these run " lsusb " in a terminal.
srkelley

Post by srkelley »

I can give you more information the next time I'm home. The info I have know is what i remember.

It's running the main Edition of Linux Mint 6: Felicia. It happens in any desktop environment I use with the default Gnome one being the one I use most of the time.

My hardware:

Pentium III@ 1 Ghz
256 Mb of Sdram (2x 128's)
Radeon 9200SE Graphics card
The motherboard has integrated graphics from Intel which I don't use, and I'm sure the sound is Intel as well. I can give that later when I get the chance.
the Hard drive now is a 160 GB Western Digital 7200 RPM ATA drive.
A PCI Wireless card from Linksys (the problem existed ebfore and after I installed the card)
A generic network interface card
1x IDE CDROM Drive, 24x (Master)
1x IDE DVD-ROM drive, 12x I think. (Slave)
3x USB ports, with only two of them being useable at any time. (1 in the front, two in the back).
The standard serial, parallel, ps/2, and vga ports are on the back. The serial is actually on the front.
My keyboard and mouse connect through a usb hub along with my dvd burner. The mouse is an optical mouse, the keyboard generic. The drive is LG. The problem existed before and after I used the usb hub and LG Drive. The mouse I'm using is my second one for the system and the keyboard my thrid. The other didn't die, I just find different looks and set-ups that change my comfort and switch to them.

The pc is an HP Pavilion 7940. I connect it to my monitor via the vga port on my graphics card. M y screen resolution is 1360x768@60hz. The problem exists on a fresh install as well as an old one loaded with many programs. I don't know if I enabled dri yet on this install or even messed with Xorg. Whichever drivers come with Felicia will be the ones installed. their during their job so I'm not messing with them at the moment. At least not until I start to mess with games again.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Ok What I need to know comes from a lspci - I need to know exactly which sound chip you have
If you have ICH7 or higher search the forum for " ICH8 sound " and you'll see lots of posts where I refer to a solution
srkelley

Post by srkelley »

I'm so sorry I didn't respond a year ago. I didn't remember where I posted this at and just dealt with it until I built my current pc.

Return to “Sound”