Is it possible to use Adobe software

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dlkreations

Re: Is it possible to use Adobe software

Post by dlkreations »

It is very easy to run Adobe Photoshop in Mint, or any other distro for that matter. I use it quite a bit to be honest. I have CS2 running very nicely with Wine 1.1.13, without any glitches that I have tried. I also have CS3 trial running as well, but it is very slow compared to CS2. Adding plugins and extra filters works very well too.

Give it a try and good luck!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

You could just dual-boot your system instead of formatting your entire hard drive by setting up a partition dedicated for Mint, or any other distro for that matter.

Also, I use 3 different external USB hard drives that I connect to my laptop, and all of them are formatted using NTFS because I use them for my work PC as well, and I have no difficulty using them on Linux. Just make sure that when you disconnect or unmount them from a Windows machine, or any machine for that matter with the built in utility instead of just unplugging it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

shadowdragon,

Linux has a package management system. In most cases you don't need to install something from a web site like in Windows. Look in your menu and open a program called synaptic. Look in the list of programs available and you will find "Wine." Check it for installation and let synaptic download and install it for you.

Fred
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Indeed. The software that is on Synaptec will be the most stable releases anyway unless you decide to add 3rd party repos. Your best bet as Fred mentioned would be to open the package manager; it is on your MintMenu. Put in your password, and do a search for "wine" without quotes. Good luck!
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

You need to search for wine not Wine :wink:
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

Unfortunately PS3 runs very slow with wine, no matter what. PS2 and under work very well with it however. I wouldn't even bother with PS3. I ran it, and it was not worth it.

To be honest, you'd be better off learning Gimp as it has a lot of very nice features and gives PS a run for its money. If nothing else, get PS2.

If all else fails, go to the WineHQ Forums for more help.
Fred

Post by Fred »

shadowdragon,

The fact is that nothing is going to run Windows programs as good as Windows. After all that is the OS the program was written for. If you must use Windows programs, for whatever reason, run them on Windows if you want and expect a comparable experience.

You can use a dual boot setup or run Windows in a virtual machine on Linux. When you have the need to use that program or two, just log in to Windows. Having said that, if you are not able or willing to give up most of your Windows programs, then there really is no point in using Linux, that I can see.

Fred

Return to “Software & Applications”