Nvidia X-Server Setttings Won't Save / New Drivers Install?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
proxima_centauri

Re: Nvidia X-Server Setttings Won't Save / New Drivers Install?

Post by proxima_centauri »

Perhaps it's because nvidia-settings isn't being used as root. Try running

Code: Select all

gksudo nvidia-settings
and applying the changes to xorg.conf again.

I don't think 32-bit drivers would install on a 64 bit system, you should have 64 bit drivers. I *believe* the Ubuntu repositories have nvidia 180.** which is the same as on the official nvidia site (180.22) Just of out curiosity, what does version does nvidia settings say you have?? I personally wouldn't bothing doing the manual install of the official nvidia drivers.
However, if you really really want to:
You need to download the package, stop X

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
navigate to the folder where your nvidia package is, the command "cd" is used to change directorys. So if the package is on your desktop "cd /home/*yourusername*/Desktop".
run it by

sh NVIDIA**.pkg
Where "**" is the rest of the package name, fill it in or hit TAB.
Start x again,

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Nvidia X-Server Setttings Won't Save / New Drivers Install?

Post by proxima_centauri »

Hey drcfisher,
Unfortunately I'm not that familiar to help you in this situation. I didn't mean to come across as ignoring your results. Still a pretty big newb myself when it comes to more more-advanced nit-picking.

I'm not sure I understand your descriptions of screen frequency, it should have no bearing whatsoever on screen resolution (are you saying that the screen resolution changes from the log in screen? or that you can noticible see the refresh rate has changed?). Have you tried using the "Screen Resolution" tool in Preferences and changing the refresh rate there?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will post.

Return to “Hardware Support”