Webcams and Apps

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rec9140

Webcams and Apps

Post by rec9140 »

Looking for guidance on Linux and specifically KMint Daryna and Elyssa KDE V3.5.x compatible web cams.

Looking for the highest resolution live web cam mode cameras I can get 800x600 or better in web cam mode, USB.

Digital camera mode would be desired as well, but not required.

Input on apps to use with web cams as well. KDE V3.5.x only, don't care about KDE V4.x :evil: (Wont be upgrading or using it any time soon!)

Apps that can send to winslobber users would be a plus. I don't use IM programs of any sort or have any type of IM accounts, and would prefer NOT to use services like this if possible. Install some software to use the cam and be able to have other Linux and winslobber users use same or similar software on their end sans IM servers etc..

No KDE 4.x apps!

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Webcams and Apps

Post by Husse »

Apart from Skype I thought webcams were used with IM programs such as Kopete and what have you
What else could you use?
(and no solutions seen)
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

Husse wrote:Apart from Skype I thought webcams were used with IM programs such as Kopete and what have you
What else could you use?
(and no solutions seen)

On the winslobber side Netmeeting is one app which is point to point.

I don't use "social networking" sites of any form for any reason as they are a huge security and privacy risk/leach. They can be used for online stalking in various forms if you know what your doing and various hacks. Just ONE of the many reasons why I don't have accounts with any of them.

I just prefer to stay clear of the "skype/AIM/messenger" viruses.

Ekiga is one, but its gnome based, and I am not a real fan of gnome or programs based on it as they just don't tend to get along with the way I do things or KDE does things. ekiga is good as it supports h.323 (aka Netmeeting which is on just about every winslobber install or on the CD).

The next problem is cameras that support Linux, I prefer not to purchase creative or msloth products, and the Hercules (who knew that name was still around, I though it died with the HGA cards) Chit & Chat Deluxe (or something similar) but I see varying stories on works/no chance/sorta works/works/doesn't work etc..

First I am after cameras known to work under Linux especially KMint Daryna and Elyssa KDE V3.5.x

Second, I am after programs to use with the camera, preferably sans security risk/leach "social" networks.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Just installed Cheese in Mint6 from the repo and I must say this is the first time EVERYTHING has worked right and not been buggy. Didnt even have to configure anything, just installed and started it. Videos and pics even save finally.

On the IM side I have just discovered GYachE improved. It installed fine with the exception of 1 dep I had to snag.

Return to “Software & Applications”