Mint update not workin

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexon

Mint update not workin

Post by lexon »

I installed Mint 6 a few weeks ago, been getting updates but about a week or so, updates stopped working. Mint update is grayed out and I can see 44 updates waiting. I eventually have to force update to quit.

It must be my installation because no one else has any issues that I can see. Any ideas? Thanks.

lexon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Mint update not workin

Post by DataMan »

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest trying these 2 commands in the event that something is hung up from a previous update etc. No guarantee's but shouldn't break anything either.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install
sudo dpkg --configure -a
Good Luck,

DataMan
lexon

Post by lexon »

Hi DataMan

Ok, I tried that but still no joy. I see 45 updates waiting and everything still grayed out. Any other ides?

Here is what I did.
lexon@lexon-desktop ~ $ sudo apt-get -f install
[sudo] password for lexon:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
linux-headers-2.6.27-7 linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic libflickrnet2.1.5-cil
localechooser-data libgnome-keyring1.0-cil
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 46 not upgraded.
lexon@lexon-desktop ~ $ sudo dpkg --configure -a
lexon@lexon-desktop ~ $

Notice sudo dpkg --configure -a seems to have done nothing.
Thnaks.

lexon
Last edited by lexon on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Ok, here is an update of Mint update for me.

Since my desktop uses removable drives, I slipped in another drive and did a second Mint 6 install. After the install, I rebooted and saw 244 updates waiting. I updated the drive, rebooted and Mint update told me it is check for updates, then said my system is up to date.

I removed the drive and inserted the first Mint install drive and booted. Mint update did not try looking.

I then started Mint update manually and the result is 65 updates waiting now.

Again the complete update window is grayed out so some previous update must have done something to my first Mint 6 install.

This issue has only resulted in one other persons response.

Is there anyone left in the forums with Mint experience?

Thanks.

Lexon
lexon

Post by lexon »

Bump
garda

Post by garda »

I never set MintUpdate to start automatically as it often causes connection lag every now and then when it is checking for updates. So I can not comment any further. All I do know is you probably have discovered a bug in MintUpdate which might have been known by the Team and they are probably still working on it. In the mean time, try to run MintUpdate manually until the bug is ironed out.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I have tried manual update a number of times the last few days. The screen is grayed out.

I just tried with a second Mint 6 drive in my desktop and update is working. I can easily remove and insert a different drive.

I also just tried manual update with my laptop and it works.

The first drive I installed Mint 6 on a few weeks ago is the issue.

lexon
lexon

Re: Mint update not working Solved

Post by lexon »

I just re-installed the OS. Should have done that as soon as Mint update stopped working. No big deal thanks to Linux simplicity.

lexon

Return to “Beginner Questions”