Accessing Hardware specs on ones system

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Accessing Hardware specs on ones system

Post by cato40 »

This is the question :
For one to be able to upgrade their hardware on their pc, How can you access your system to know what you have.
e.g. If I have a 13.2 Gb Harddrive, I would like to know if it is IDE ot SATA ?
THe Ram, What type and whether they would be able to be upgraded, say from 387Mb to 512 or 1-2 Gb, etc.
same with sound 7video cards,power supply.
Thanking you,
cato40 :!:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Re: Accessing Hardware specs on ones system

Post by garda »

You can get most hardware information using softwares, one of them is lshw. To use it, enter this in a Terminal window:

Code: Select all

sudo lshw > ~/hardware.txt
And you will get an abundance of hardware information in a file named hardware.txt in your home directory. If you prefer a GUI utility, you may want to install hardinfo through Synaptic.

Softwares, however, can not get the type of RAM you have along with its manufacturer string, information about the power supply unit, and a few other limitations. To obtain such type of informations not accessible through softwares, you may either open up your computer case and have a close look inside or refer to the users manual that comes with your computer.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Thanks, will try.
cato40 :oops:
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Hi:
when I enter the sudo lshw >~/hardware.txt into a terminal ,it says something about a :superuser "
what is that ?
sorry, I am a bit dense .
cato40
Fred

Post by Fred »

cato40,

The command garda gave you should work but if it doesn't try typing in a terminal:

sudo su

Then do the:

lshw >~/hardware.txt

You should find the information collected in your home folder in a file called "hardware.txt"

Fred
garda

Post by garda »

Cato,

Notice the space between the right angled bracket and the tilde. There should be a prompt asking for a password after you hit the Enter key, at which point you should enter your login password. One more thing to note, you will not see any blinking cursor while typing in your password.
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

By Jove, You hit the nail on the head. Thank you very much.
Superior Skill and Knowledge win over Fear and Superstition,Author not known.
cato40 :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

garda,

I have seen several incidents lately where people insist on using "sudo" to start GUI programs instead of "gksu". When they do this, problems tend to crop up later with not being able to use sudo to gain root privileges for the user profile. I don't know exactly what is happening, just that it does happen.

Just a heads up in case you run across the same thing. :-)

Fred
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Thank :) s to all for the timely help.
cato40

Return to “Beginner Questions”