Lost Control Over My Desktop. Literally

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Re: Lost Control Over My Desktop. Literally

Post by viking777 »

Perhaps gnome desktop manager has stopped running?

Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

gdm
See if that does anything, although the fact that you have a system tray and taskbar running leads me to think that might not work. Still no harm in trying.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
garda

Post by garda »

Last time I had this type of error, it was because I had clicked on 'Remember Currently Running Applications' button in Sessions Properties before. If you happen to have done the same thing, do not ever do that again. Now have you tried entering this in the Terminal:

nautilus &
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

MintMenu-> Preferences -> Sessions
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Is show_desktop checked under gconf-editor -> apps -> nautilus -> preferences??
If it's checked try rechecking it again - maybe run

killall nautilus
in terminal afterwards
garda

Post by garda »

This is getting weirder. Sometimes you have to log out and log back in for the changes to take effect. So what I suggest you do now is open up gconf-editor again, uncheck the 'show_desktop' option, log out and log back in, put check mark on the option again, then log out and log back in.

I know this does not sound pretty, but I have dug through several Nautilus-related bugs at BugZilla and have found that some of them can be sorted out by playing with relevant options in gconf-editor then logging out and back in -- losing desktop icons as well as losing the ability to right-click on the desktop for no apparent reason are among them.
garda

Post by garda »

Did you ever install any desktop-related or eye candy utilities such as wallpaper switcher, compiz multiple-wallpaper plugin or anything at all? If so, try to remove (purge) them. If not, make sure there are no multiple instances of Nautilus running:
1. Close all open windows and applications.
2. Go to Control Center > Sessions > Current Session tab.

See my Session Properties/Preferences screenshot for reference.
garda

Post by garda »

I have reached the end of my wits now, therefore all I can recommend is make a new user profile then transfer your files (except the settings) from your current home directory to the new one. You will probably have to fiddle with permissions settings on the files and directories, but that is a matter to be discussed later.

Another that is worth trying beforehand is to turn of visual effects (i.e. turn of Compiz) and see if the problem persists.
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

I'm having exactly the same issues with my Mint 6 installation.

I've rebuilt my installation and the same issue returned almost immediately.
madwoollything

Post by madwoollything »

madwoollything wrote:I'm having exactly the same issues with my Mint 6 installation.

I've rebuilt my installation and the same issue returned almost immediately.
On further investigation I used gconf-editor (type 'gconf-editor' into a terminal to launch the application) then navigate to /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop. Remove the tick from the check box and reboot. Since then I appear to have everything working again as normal .... desktop and nautilus! :D

Hope this helps others.

Return to “Beginner Questions”