Asus Z96J laptop Hibernates Only in Recovery Mode

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
julian516

Asus Z96J laptop Hibernates Only in Recovery Mode

Post by julian516 »

Laptop is Asus Z96J. T7200 Intel dual-core, 2 gig RAM, ATI X1600 with FGLRX driver activated. Intel wireless, 100 GB HD. System dual-boots with WinXP. Mint configured with /, Home and Swap partitions. Swap configured at 4.5 GB to ensure it would be more than 2X ram.

Suspend works fine. There are no issues.

Hibernate appears to shut down properly, but posts following message as it does so.

btusb_intr_complete: hcio urb f76ed33880 failed to restart (2)

Repeated attempts to suspend always post this message, although the component "f76ed338880" varies.

When I attempt to come out of hibernation the splash screen shows Mint has frozen. I press power key to force a shut-down. I then power up normally. Applications left open on desktop prior to Hibernate are shut down. I am at a clean desktop. Hibernate has not worked.

Through experimentation I found that Hibernate would resume in apparently normal fashion if I booted in recovery mode, opened an application on the desktop, then suspended and then resumed in recovery mode. In short everything works normally with the machine booted in recovery mode.

Question: What really is happening when I run in "recovery mode."

The fact that hibernate works -- and everything else seems to run normally -- prompts the next two questions:

What do I lose by running in "recovery mode" since that seems to work just fine?

Which file or files do I need to edit in order for Hibernate to work with the normal, non-recovery mode? (Since that is how the machine is supposed to work, I assume)

It seems to me that Hibernate is very close to working. Can someone suggest next analytical steps?

Thanks so much for any help with an old and tired Linux problem!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bill_KY

Re: Asus Z96J laptop Hibernates Only in Recovery Mode

Post by Bill_KY »

Forgot the obvious! Mint version is v 6.0 Felicia. My apologies.
garda

Post by garda »

It seems like a Bluetooth-related module fails to load on resume. Try disabling Bluetooth in the BIOS then see if your laptop can resume correctly in normal mode afterwards.

Working in recovery mode is not recommended, as many system services and modules are switched off in that mode.
Bill_KY

Post by Bill_KY »

Thank you garda! You answered a question. The "bt" in "btusb ...failed to restart" has to do with blue-tooth. The irony is that I do not use blue-tooth devices. No harm done in turning it off.

I am traveling and I may not be able to post quickly, but I will ASAP so people can see if this works. I suspect I am not alone.
Bill_KY

Post by Bill_KY »

OK, Garda had this right. I was not able to disable Bluetooth "in the BIOS" as he suggested, but I was able to do it by using Control Center/Bluetooth and turning it off. It is easy to prevent it from loading and running automatically on start-up.

One bit of advice: When this machine comes out of hibernation the horizontal bar that shows it loading stops and it appears to have hung. Just be patient. The startup is lower than it normally is, but you will be invited to use your password to "unlock" the screen. When you do you will see that hibernate is now working as it should.

Two curiosities remain. (1) Suppose I were using Bluetooth devices? This solution would not work, so the problem needs a further tweak? (2) Oddly, I do not recall having this problem with Ubuntu 8.10, which would hibernate and resume normally -- though also rather slowly. So, did the Mintians do something that scrambled the Ubuntuns?

In the meantime, the suggestion to turn off Bluetooth services turns the trick and my thanks again to Garda!
garda

Post by garda »

Answer to question no. 1:
You have to know which module is in use for your Bluetooth radio. With Bluetooth having been enabled in BIOS, type this in your terminal:

Code: Select all

lsmod | grep blue
You will get a list of modules that use the module called "bluetooth" and one of them should have hcd in its name (e.g. hci_hcd, ehci_hcd, hci_usb). That is the module used by the kernel to control your Bluetooth radio.

Assuming that the module is called hci_hcd, all you would have to do next is add a line to your hibernate and suspend scripts that will unload the respective module (hci_hcd) whenever you invoke suspend or hibernate. The scripts in question are commonly located in /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/, hal-system-power-hibernate-linux for hibernate and hal-system-power-suspend-linux for suspend.

As for question no. 2, I will leave that to the devs.
Bill_KY

Post by Bill_KY »

Wonderful. I learned something and I hope others see this thread. Good stuff. Works.

Reader, if you are havng the problem, follow along. Surely worth a try.

Return to “Hardware Support”