Giver in Elyssa?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kokomonjo

Giver in Elyssa?

Post by kokomonjo »

I have recently learned about Giver the network file sharing program. My girlfriend and I both have Elyssa installed on our computers and I was wondering if there was a way to install the program in Elyssa? I tried one tutorial but couldn't install the Intrepid repos. I have looked in synaptic package manager and didn't see it in there either and lastly I check under the software portal and couldn't find it. So if anyone could help I would really appreciate it! Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Giver in Elyssa?

Post by solar1951 »

Hi, yes there is a way but it is a bit lengthy and requires some other packages and some modifying.

Firstly get hold of the binary package for giver-0.1.8.tar.gz from here http://code.google.com/p/giver/downloads/list
Save it to your system - /Downloads.
You need to use nautilus to get to the directory where the binary is stored and then unpack it - double click and accept defaults.
This will give you a folder named giver-0.1.8

Now you need to get some dependancies.
Open Synaptic and search for the following packages
mono-gmcs
libavahi-common-dev
libavahi-core-dev
libavahi1.0-cil
libgtk2.0-dev
Mark them all for installation (they will also pull in other files)
When they have been installed close synaptic and go to the directory giver-0.1.8
You need to open a terminal in this directory and use the following commands
./configure
make
sudo make install

The last command will ask for your password

Giver should now install but if you run it you will get an error
exec: 9: -a: not found
You now need to modify the executable

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /user/local/bin giver
and modify the line

exec -a "Giver" mono "Giver.exe" "@$"
to

exec mono "Giver.exe" "@$"
and save the file.

This should now work, giver is found in the internet menu.

Good luck.
kokomonjo

Post by kokomonjo »

I am not sure how to go about doing this part:
"Firstly get hold of the binary package for giver-0.1.8.tar.gz from here http://code.google.com/p/giver/downloads/list
You need to use nautilus to get to the directory where the binary is stored and then unpack it - double click and accept defaults.
This will give you a folder named giver-0.1.8"

I am pretty sure that I can handle the rest but I am a newbie and still not sure how to go about doing these type of instructions. Thanks for all your help solar1951
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

kokomonjo wrote:I am not sure how to go about doing this part:
"Firstly get hold of the binary package for giver-0.1.8.tar.gz from here http://code.google.com/p/giver/downloads/list
This will give you a folder named giver-0.1.8"

I am pretty sure that I can handle the rest but I am a newbie and still not sure how to go about doing these type of instructions. Thanks for all your help solar1951
OK, sorry if I confused you.
Open a web browser and go to the address indicated, there you will find a list of 3 files. Left click with the mouse on the giver-0.1.8.tar.gz and you should get a message saying do you want to open or save this file, select save and it will save the file to your computer. Where it saves it depends on how you have set your browser to save files - if firefox then go to Edit>Preferences>Main and set your downloads folder.
Now use your file browser to go to that directory and you should see a file called giver-0.1.8.tar.gz. Double left click with the mouse on this folder and this should launch a program to unpack this compressed file. This will produce the folder giver-0.1.8.

Let me know if you need further help.
kokomonjo

Post by kokomonjo »

thanks so much for you help!
kokomonjo

Post by kokomonjo »

Hi solar1951 I am a little confused as to what to do at this part. I got all the things from synaptic and opened terminal in the directory as specified. but I am not sure what to make and install I ran ./configure that went good but do i need to type something else besides make in terminal? this is what i get

~/Downloads/giver-0.1.8 $ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

thanks for all your help!

Return to “Software & Applications”