Multimedia keys / key bindings not working [FIXED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beyecixramd

Multimedia keys / key bindings not working [FIXED]

Post by beyecixramd »

i dont know where exactly to post this, so i thought this would be the best place.

Hello, i'm just having this problem, i think i didnt install anything new, so im confused.

I tested the following:

Things that WORK:
-Copy, paste, cut (ctrl+c/v/x)
-Switching to another tty (ctrl+alt+F1~7)
-Rotating the cube in Compiz Fusion (ctrl+alt+drag with mouse)
-Switching windows in Compiz Fusion (Alt/Super/ctrl+tab)
-Volume up/down (multimedia keys)
-Special Characters (Alt gr + key [þø→↓←ŧ¶€ł@~łĸjħŋđðßæµn”“¢»«])

Things that DOESN'T WORK:
-Play/pause (multimedia keys)
-Previous/next (multimedia keys)
-Stop (multimedia keys)
-Mute (multimedia keys)
-Lock (Ctrl+alt+L)

and i really miss the mm keys, because im used to skip track without focusing the player (i tested in banshee and amarok, none of them were working), and the "lock" key, because i usually lock the computer before leaving unattended.

i tried to boot into kernel 2.6.27-7-generic and kernel 2.6.27-11-generic, none of them were working. I tried to use KDE instead of Gnome, not working. I tried to reboot, not working. I tried to log in as a different user, not working. I tried to re-associate again the key bindings, still not working.

So I'm getting a bit crazy with all this, and i would like to fix this without reinstalling Mint (xD, that's what i used to do when things weren't working and i had no idea.)

And again, sorry for my poor english.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Multimedia keys / key bindings not working

Post by viking777 »

I am the bearer of both good news and bad news.

Lets get the bad news over with first. Most of my multimedia keys don't work either (the only ones that do are volume up and down and volume mute) - I guess it doesn't mean that much to me so I just live with it, my opinion is that Linux has just not caught up with all that just yet, there are just too many variables out there in terms of hardware. So don't beat your head in trying to make it work when it probably can't. It is not that big a deal to use the controls in your media player.

The good news is that your English is about perfect as far as I can tell!
beyecixramd

Post by beyecixramd »

I've been thinking, for a long time, about how bad my english sucks. A lot of people told me it wasn't true, but i just didn't hear them xD .
Now I see how true it is, and it's time to remove it from my signature xD.
Back to the topic. I think it's something related with the mintUpdate stuff, the mintsystem or something like that...
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Here is a thought for you. I run avant-window-navigator on my machine (an Mac like dock bar). It has plugins for 'Play' 'Next track' and 'Previous track' that you can embed into the dock. Just for you I tested them out and they work perfectly. It is not something I would need to use myself but you might like to think about it if that is important to you. A bonus is that it looks much better than a standard tray as well.

BTW I tested it with Exaile media player so I can't guarantee it works with anything else.
beyecixramd

Post by beyecixramd »

well... emm... how can i say it xDD

i just rebooted to play games on windiz, then i noticed the mm keys and CTRL+ALT+L were working fine...

then I noticed the option to find the mouse. (press CTRL to show a circle around your mouse) It was enabled... i just didn't think that could disrupt the shortcuts... so i just ignored it....

in VBox i had problems too, once the mouse was captured, everytime i press RIGHT CTRL, it showed a circle around the mouse in the host machine, but i couldn't control the mouse in the host machine, only in the virtual one...

solution: i disabled it. Voila! xD

:D im happy!! now my shortcuts are working!! haha

Return to “Software & Applications”