Mint XFCE/ Xubuntu( and GPRS Easy Connect)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alun_sundry

Mint XFCE/ Xubuntu( and GPRS Easy Connect)

Post by alun_sundry »

Is there a link to any screenshots someone can give me?

How different is Mint 6 XFCE from Xubuntu 8.10? Are the differences under the bonnet, i.e. is it smoother running for any reason, or mostly due to the packages included and window-dressing? One of the pleasing things about Xubuntu is it has almost too many themes (I like Piranha), although the Mint team may have sorted out the chaff.

I use Mobile Broadband, but at the 3G level - does GPRS Easy Connect work for this too (if it's still included)? Not a nuisance if no, because there are good instructions here for installing the normal Mint network applet.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mint XFCE/ Xubuntu( and GPRS Easy Connect)

Post by Husse »

Xubuntu and Mint XFCE are quite different - we have done quite a bit of development in the XFCE project thanks to merlwiz79
I can't say anything about GPRS Easy Connect - you could probably install it if you want to
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

It still has all the themes that Xubuntu has and some more from Linux Mint.
Also I have added a few themes that I have made and a few that goes with some Emerald themes.

As long as GPRS Easy Connect has your handset and provider it should be easy to set up.
If it doesn't then provide all info needed for GPRS Easy Connect to work and I'll try to add it to the settings.
alun_sundry

Post by alun_sundry »

Having just looked in the repositories I belatedly see that GPRS Easy Connect is for mobile phones being used as modems; what I have is one of those USB Mobile Broadband dongles. They work 99% perfectly with NetManager 0.7.0, and I can't easily get my desktop PC to somewhere where there's phoneline broadband, and the NetManager software on the makers' own site is of the type that needs compiling, not an easily installable .deb file. So it looks like I'll be sticking with Gnome unless you decide with XFCE to change back to NetManager, which may be a good idea seeing as this is the type of compact operating system that NetBooks for example make good use of? Oh well.... (I think I'll still have a look at it and the FluxBox version on my laptop though at some point before installing Mint 7.)

Return to “Xfce”