Headphones solved

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kaye

Headphones solved

Post by Kaye »

Hey everyone.

I'm using an Acer Aspire 6920 dual boot with Windows Vista. When I first installed Mint, my sound wasn't working at all, so I installed OSS4 to remedy the problem. Now, however, I have a new problem: when I plug in my headphones, sound comes through them just fine... but it also comes through the speakers. Is there any way for me to fix this?

Thanks, Kaye
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Headphones

Post by Husse »

You have to tell us more facts.
The minimum is exactly which Mint you have - which version and which edition (main or any of the CEs)
We also need to know a bit about all your hardware.
Run " lspci " in a terminal and post here (To copy from a terminal right click)
Some wifi and possibly built in sound can be connected to USB even if they are internal - if you suspect you have one of these run " lsusb " in a terminal.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I'm running the standard version of Felicia from the Mint download page.

Here's the result of lspic:

Code: Select all

jordan@jordanlaptop ~ $ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L1 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev b0)
08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection (rev 61)
Thanks for your help.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'm not entirely convinced this will help but there is a good chance (you have ICH8)
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... sa#p107982
Of course you have to change model=acer to what ever you have or auto
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Nope, that didn't fix the headphones problem.

I would guess that's because it looks like an ALSA fix and I'm using OSS4 possibly?
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Anyone else have a possible solution?
Husse

Post by Husse »

I'll try to find a solution - unfortunately the forum obstructs and has stopped sending mail again so I have to give that priority
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

It's alright.. I've found a hack for the time being. Right now I'm just using ossxmix to basically turn off my exterior speakers when I plug in my headphones. Apparently OSS has a broken driver for recognizing headphones on some systems, so this might be the best I'm going to get until the driver is updated.
exjinn

Post by exjinn »

I'm having the same issue on an Acer Aspire 6530 however I enabled Surround, and turned up the volume in preferences and muted Front (main speakers) to work around this problem
Husse

Post by Husse »

Apparently OSS has a broken driver for recognizing headphones on some systems
Ah - you've found the explanation - there's nothing I can do about that - writing drivers for sound is a bit beyond me :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

You're right - what you can see from that page is that ossmix is part of oss that can be downloaded here
http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi
Husse

Post by Husse »

On the download page I linked to there is a .deb file (use the pull down menu) and that does not use the command line....
Husse

Post by Husse »

We've all been newbies....
When you double click a .deb gdebi* should start and you should be asked to give your password
*gdebi is the "package installer"
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - it did that for me too
Seems you have to start it from the command line...
Run
sudo dpkg -I oss-linux-4.1-1051_i386.deb
Note -I is a capital i
This gets you some info - among that - Conflicts: libflashsupport
Copy that info to a txtfile just in case - it should download necessary files that do not exist but you never know
Then change -I to -i to get it installed
It behaves in the terminal about the same as if it had a GUI
However this is beginning to be to much for your original goal but if oss(x)mix is the solution for you this is the way to go

Return to “Hardware Support”