Linux Mint 6 XFCE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 6 XFCE released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 6 XFCE Community Edition. Based on Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex, Linux 2.6.27, XFCE 4.4.2 and Xorg 7.4, Linux Mint 6 “Felicia” XFCE CE comes with a brand new “Software Manager”, FTP support in mintUpload, proxy support and history of updates in mintUpdate, mintDisk and a lot of other improvements [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=637

Clem.
viking777

Re: Linux Mint 6 XFCE released!

Post by viking777 »

Just completed an update and I can't tell the difference from RC1.

That is not criticism btw it is high praise. RC1 was so good I would hate it to be interfered with by any update!

Really nice distro. Thanks a lot.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Congrats to Merlwiz and everyone involved!
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Wonderful news! :D
Now looking forward to this! :D :D :D
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Arron

Post by Arron »

Cant wait!! I have been very excited for this release. Now leaving work *sick* to go home and dload.

Thanks for the AMAZING work merlwiz!
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

woot

Code: Select all

axel -n 20 http://mirror.amarillolinux.com/linuxmint/stable/6/community/LinuxMint-6-XFCE.iso
gives [1578.3KB/s] Woot!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Congratulations to merlwiz79 for such an outstanding job!
anthony2010

Post by anthony2010 »

I've finally found the version of mint that works for me! xfce is lovely. Thanks so much for all the hard work.

Thanks again.

Anthony.
rhvkl

Post by rhvkl »

still downloading :)

thank you. this is my most awaited software in march.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Very nice! I got a stack of old boxes waiting for this one.
AK Dave

Post by AK Dave »

The download last night was OUTRAGEOUS speed from amarillo.
MissileCop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MissileCop »

Excellent release!! A hearty thank you for everyones work.

Especially love the fact that I can now see, and access my NTFS partitions right from the get go. I have a scanner that's not supported through SANE, and another bit of hardware that won't work through WINE, or VirtualBox, so needed to keep XP around. I do my work on XP, and the next time I boot up, I boot into LM, pull the files off the NTFS partition, and do my editing work then with Audacity or GIMP.

Only problem I've found with both the RC, and the Final, is that after installation, when it prompts you to remove the media, and to hit Enter, the drive tray doesn't eject, and nothing happens when I hit the Enter key. I have to use the pinhole on the drive to manually eject the tray, and then do a hard reboot. This is the only LM distro I've had this problem with. All others have automatically ejected the tray, and responded when the Enter key was hit. Drive is a Lite-On LH-20A1S. But since it's a one time hiccup, it's not a biggie.

Thanks again for everyone's hard work, and for setting the bar so high for other distros. :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Only problem I've found with both the RC, and the Final, is that after installation, when it prompts you to remove the media, and to hit Enter, the drive tray doesn't eject, and nothing happens when I hit the Enter key. I have to use the pinhole on the drive to manually eject the tray, and then do a hard reboot. This is the only LM distro I've had this problem with. All others have automatically ejected the tray, and responded when the Enter key was hit. Drive is a Lite-On LH-20A1S. But since it's a one time hiccup, it's not a biggie.
That is an upstream bug we inherited from Ubuntu.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

exploder wrote:
That is an upstream bug we inherited from Ubuntu.
This affects all editions of Linux Mint 6 and Ubuntu 8.10. A fix was released by Ubuntu, an upgrade to the latest udev should fix it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intre ... bug/283316

Clem.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Now running Mint 6 XFCE. Great Job! :D
w6kkt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by w6kkt »

EXCELLENT-- EVERYTHING WORKS!
Thank you
Intel Pentium G3220
Asrock H81M-ITX mb
8gb PC3 ram
1x samsung 128gb ssd
Samsung dvd burner
Silverstone SG05 ITX case
Jesse (w6kkt)
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

I see XFCE 4.6.0 was released. Will it be made available from the Repo as an update for Mint 6 XFCE CE? This version of Mint XFCE is currently running XFCE Version 4.4.2.
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Post by psycosmyth »

:mrgreen: Great job! I can't decide between Xfce and Flux as for the best light Mint, I have to try this one for sure.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

mmesantos1 wrote:I see XFCE 4.6.0 was released. Will it be made available from the Repo as an update for Mint 6 XFCE CE? This version of Mint XFCE is currently running XFCE Version 4.4.2.
4.6 will make a big difference in many core components, so you will have to make a new user account after installing it, because your current one might get borked during the upgrade process.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

mmesantos1 wrote:I see XFCE 4.6.0 was released. Will it be made available from the Repo as an update for Mint 6 XFCE CE? This version of Mint XFCE is currently running XFCE Version 4.4.2.
It should be in Linux Mint 7 XFCE CE, just like Xubuntu Jaunty.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”