pkg-config

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
amateur

pkg-config

Post by amateur »

I've noticed that I cannot compile or install any software I download, and I finally figured out the reason; I don't have this thing called pkg-config. I can't figure out how to get it up and running, either. The readme says,

To use pkg-config, do something like the following in your configure.ac

PKG_CHECK_MODULES([GNOME], [gtk > 1.2.8 gnomeui >= 1.2.0])

This puts the neccesary include flags to compile/link something against
libgnomeui and all its dependencies in $(GNOME_CFLAGS), and the -L/-l flags
for linking in $(GNOME_LIBS).

Users can define the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to point at the
right one, or if they cross-compile and have a correctly named pkg-config
(eg. arm-linux-pkg-config) in their PATH that will be used in preference.

Users can also define the GNOME_CFLAGS and GNOME_LIBS environment variables
if they think they know better, pkg-config will not be called if they do
that.

Does somebody care to translate?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: pkg-config

Post by Husse »

Before I translate - have you installed build-essential?

Code: Select all

apt install build-essential
I don't think you need to do anything about pkg-config in the first place and it's supposed to be there by default
And - if you can't install software from Synaptic or mintInstall (Software manager) there's something seriously wrong with your system
educateme

Post by educateme »

I typed that in, and it says everything is fine.
Fred

Post by Fred »

educateme,

This doesn't answer your question but goes to the bigger question. Why are you, as a new user, trying to compile your own programs. Linux, Mint, has a very good package management system that has literally thousands of programs, vetted to work on your system, to choose from. Downloading programs from a third party and installing them on your system is the Windows way of doing things.

Not using the built-in package management system can create all kinds of conflicts on down the road. Yes, downloading and compiling your own programs is sometimes necessary and desirable, but for a new user it should probably be avoided until you become more familiar with Linux in general.

Just a few random thoughts. :-)

Fred
educateme

Post by educateme »

You're right, Fred. I just realized I can download ekiga, openoffice, xine, pretty much anything I need, from the apt-get feature. Who needs to compile anything, anyway?
Xtigyro

Post by Xtigyro »

and i have another question... why ekiga is NOT in the list of the packages in the web Portal/Software manager but it is in the package database of apt-get?

Return to “Software & Applications”