Ubuntu, Mint and Automatix?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
valnar
Level 1
Level 1

Ubuntu, Mint and Automatix?

Post by valnar »

OK, I loaded up the beta of Mint and it looks very nice. It appears there are a couple programs that are different, and I'm sure a lot of codecs and plugins under the hood are there too. A quick visit to some multimedia web sites confirmed that.

So what is different, exactly, between Ubuntu and Mint? If I were to load Automatix on Mint, which programs would I *not* need to install? Is there a FAQ or list of differences/changes between Ubuntu and Mint?

I see you also include some of the Gnome drive icons on the screen - very nice. I usually do that right away too. Network Manager - nice. What other tweaks are there?

Can I use any repository for Ubuntu software? Will anything break if I choose a piece of software already on Mint? Hence my reason for wanting to know what's there already.

Robert
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi Robert,

I wouldn't recommend using Automatix on Mint because, most of what it installs is already there by default... if there a few things that you feel are missing, then follow the ubuntuguide and install them manually.. and if you don't really know what is missing, then you probably don't need to install it :)

Barbara was basically Ubuntu + codecs with a different theme, but as time goes on, we're changing a lot of extra little things and Mint is heading in its own direction. For instance in Bea, we're changing a lot of things in Firefox's and Gnome's configuration. And in Bianca we'll start adding our own tools.

The purposes of Automatix and Linux Mint are very different. Automatix provides a way to enhance Ubuntu. Mint provides an enhanced desktop distribution which base is Ubuntu.

As for the repositories, yes you should be able to add any software from Ubuntu's repos without breaking what's already there in Barbara or Bea.

Clem
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

root wrote:Hi Robert,

I wouldn't recommend using Automatix on Mint because, most of what it installs is already there by default... if there a few things that you feel are missing, then follow the ubuntuguide and install them manually.. and if you don't really know what is missing, then you probably don't need to install it :)

Barbara was basically Ubuntu + codecs with a different theme, but as time goes on, we're changing a lot of extra little things and Mint is heading in its own direction. For instance in Bea, we're changing a lot of things in Firefox's and Gnome's configuration. And in Bianca we'll start adding our own tools.

The purposes of Automatix and Linux Mint are very different. Automatix provides a way to enhance Ubuntu. Mint provides an enhanced desktop distribution which base is Ubuntu.

As for the repositories, yes you should be able to add any software from Ubuntu's repos without breaking what's already there in Barbara or Bea.

Clem
This goes back to an earlier question I had, but there are a couple of sites I frequent for audio that uses RealPlayer. Well, MPlayer doesn't cut it. I'll need to install RealPlayer. For Barbara I used Automatix and it was quite painless and trouble free.
mikeon11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mikeon11 »

antiquexray wrote:
root wrote:Hi Robert,

Clem
This goes back to an earlier question I had, but there are a couple of sites I frequent for audio that uses RealPlayer. Well, MPlayer doesn't cut it. I'll need to install RealPlayer. For Barbara I used Automatix and it was quite painless and trouble free.
i used automatix to install realplayer, without problem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote: I wouldn't recommend using Automatix on Mint because, most of what it installs is already there by default...
I used automatix2 and installed everything it had to offer. Result: no problems whatsoever on Barbara!

Regards,

Scorp.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”