How do I add network printer in KDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
p10

How do I add network printer in KDE?

Post by p10 »

Switching from Linux Mint 5 to Mint 5 KDE CE I am having a hard time adding all the printers I need for work. In Gnome all I had to do was search for them with the printer-tool. But in KDE I am unable to find any printers when I try to search.

Is there an easy way of adding printers in KDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do I add network printer in KDE?

Post by altair4 »

Are you using the KDE Control Center to search for the printer?

KDE Control Center > Peripherals > Printers > Add > Add Printer

Is this printer attached to a Windows or Linux Box or is it a standalone printer that is attached independently to the network?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
p10

Post by p10 »

Yes, I am using the KDE Control Center.
Trying to add two standalone printers, one attached to a Windows PC and one at home on another Mint machine. This has never bin a problem with Gnome.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Let's do the windows printer first:

If KDE Control Center > Peripherals > Printers > Add > Add Printer > SMB Shared Printer > Scan does not show anything you could just add the Workgroup, Server, Printer names directly.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
p10

Post by p10 »

altair4 wrote:Let's do the windows printer first:

If KDE Control Center > Peripherals > Printers > Add > Add Printer > SMB Shared Printer > Scan does not show anything you could just add the Workgroup, Server, Printer names directly.
Ill try! Problem is I don't know all that stuff! As I wrote earlier, in Gnome I just had to search and add all printers!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Open konsole
Type smbtree

The first line of output will be the Workgroup name
The second line will be the Server name
The third and subsequent lines will be all the shares including any shared printers
p10

Post by p10 »

altair4 wrote:Open konsole
Type smbtree

The first line of output will be the Workgroup name
The second line will be the Server name
The third and subsequent lines will be all the shares including any shared printers
I'll test it out tomorrow! Thanks a bunch!

Return to “Software & Applications”