Changing The Mint Assistant Fortunes...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Changing The Mint Assistant Fortunes...

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

I chose to enable terminal fortunes and I am getting to use the terminal more and more. I am wondering how you can change the fortunes that come up with each session. Is there a text file I can run on the command line to open up and edit or will I have to go to the filesystem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Changing The Mint Assistant Fortunes...

Post by Husse »

Which Fortune that comes up is random
If you want to get rid of it you can open mintAssistant
If you want to change the fortunes there is a sticky post in the forum somewhere about it but I don't find it (maybe lost it's stickyness?)
This was posted in the Howtos section and it's not a howto - topic moved
Gunmetal_Ghoul

Post by Gunmetal_Ghoul »

After some searching I found out it's in the filesystem: /usr/share/games/fortunes. It's a gedit file that could be changed and saved, but that's a big undertaking of my copy-paste abilities. I'm not sure if that's the way to do it but I think it's worth a try. Wish me luck!
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I changed the fortunes to only BOFH ones using:
sudo apt-get remove fortunes-min
sudo apt-get install fortunes-bofh-excuses

fortunes-min is the default package containing the default set of fortunes, there are many other fortunes-* packages you could experiment with. Check out "man fortune" for more information

Return to “Software & Applications”