installing with separate /home partition over Ubuntu

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eianonohahacaca

installing with separate /home partition over Ubuntu

Post by eianonohahacaca »

I have Ubuntu 8.04 with a separate home partition. If I only install Mint 6 to the / partition keeping the /home would there be much configuration problems.
I am using gnome desktop with no special hardware configurations.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: installing with separate /home partition over Ubuntu

Post by DataMan »

I'm thinking that if you do not specify a location for "/home" during the install process, it will install "/home" in the same partition as your "/" by default. Going this route would afford less chance of something getting messed up between the install "/home" and your Ubuntu "/home".

After you have gone through the installation, you could merely edit your fstab file to point to your Ubuntu "/home", reboot and see if all is happy (recommend just commenting out the installed "/home" line in your fstab for this effort). If all is happy, you're good to go. If not, change your fstab and use something like Krusader to copy pertinent settings from the Ubuntu to your new /home.

As always in the world of Lx, just one of many approaches to the same problem....

Good Luck,

DataMan
eianonohahacaca

Re: installing with separate /home partition over Ubuntu

Post by eianonohahacaca »

Thanks, this machine is rather low spec with 500 MHz and 520 MB RAM.
Do you think Mint 6 will run faster or about the same as Ubuntu 8.04?

Return to “Beginner Questions”