Firefox printing to CUPS PDF [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Firefox printing to CUPS PDF

Post by altair4 »

Welcome to the wacky world of Print_to_pdf.

It goes to /home/username (/home/taebek for example) . If anyone knows how to change this default location I'd love to hear about it.

Now here's an interesting point. Instead of using Print_to_PDF use Print to File. When you select that you are given the option to change the output format from postscript to PDF. It will also give you the option of saving it wherever you choose.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
garda

Post by garda »

It goes to /home/username (/home/taebek for example) . If anyone knows how to change this default location I'd love to hear about it.
Enter this in a Terminal window:

Code: Select all

gksu gedit /etc/cups/cups-pdf.conf
Now find a section that looks like this:

### Key: Out
##  CUPS-PDF output directory 
##  special qualifiers: 
##     ${HOME} will be expanded to the user's home directory
##     ${USER} will be expanded to the user name
##  in case it is an NFS export make sure it is exported without
##  root_squash! 
### Default: /var/spool/cups-pdf/${USER}

Out ${HOME}/Documents
Change the last line (Out ${HOME}/Documents) to whatever you like then save and close Gedit. Next, restart CUPS by executing this command:

sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart
Sometimes CUPS may become shaky after being restarted this way. If you think it does become shaky, close all open programs then press CTRL+ALT+F1, enter your login credentials and enter these commands in console:

sudo su

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

shutdown now
Worry not, the last command will not actually tell your computer to turn itself off. Instead, it will stop all running services and drop you to the recovery option screen in which you should choose resume normal boot. You wiill soon be thrown back to the login screen without having to go through full reboot.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Thanks, I'll add that to my notes. One thing though there is no service named cupsys in Mint.

sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart should be
sudo /etc/init.d/cups restart - I think

Or better yet sudo service cups restart - easier for someone like me to remember :)
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
garda

Post by garda »

I do not know what version of CUPS you have installed on your system, but I do not have cups in my /etc/init.d/ directory, only cupsys. Secondly, that command:

sudo service cups restart
is viable in Debian but not in Mint by default.

Edit:
I might be wrong, though, as I have slimmed my system down by removing some packages which might have caused debian-helper-scripts and sysvconfig to be purged along.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Don't know what to tell you, my /etc/init.d goes like this:

console-setup
cups
dbus

no cupsys

I don't remember installing anything special to use the "service" command but to be honest I don't know at this moment where I put my car keys either.
garda

Post by garda »

Well, I have edited my post. Again, I could be wrong.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Didn't see your edit before I posted, sorry.

Return to “Beginner Questions”