Modem was found with XFCE but not GNOME

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ditchmagnet

Modem was found with XFCE but not GNOME

Post by ditchmagnet »

I had installed mint 6 XFCE and it detected the modem, but I have now installed mint 6 gnome and it does not find the modem. I used modemscan tool and it saw a conteax device, but I dont know how to get it working. gnome-ppp cant detect a modem either.

its a compaq evo n1015v

thanks.

EDIT:

here is lspci output:
$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc AGP Bridge [IGP 320M] (rev 13)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc PCI Bridge [IGP 320M] (rev 01)
00:02.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533/M1535/M1543 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV/V/V+]
00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 02)
00:0a.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus Controller (rev 02)
00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 20)
00:0c.0 Communication controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. HSF 56k HSFi Modem (rev 01)
00:0f.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)
00:10.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev c4)
00:11.0 Bridge: ALi Corporation M7101 Power Management Controller [PMU]
01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1

thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ditchmagnet

Re: Modem was found with XFCE but not GNOME

Post by ditchmagnet »

I installed gnome-device-manager (ethernet works fine of course) and it is detecting the modem just like in xfce. I can view the properties of the modem, but I guess I need to install a driver. where can I get a modem driver?

thanks.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Sorry ditchmagnet but your two posts don't make sense to me. In the first post you say you can't detect the modem, but in the second post you can. In the second post you say that ethernet is working fine but you need to find a driver - for what?? Please explain more.
ditchmagnet

Post by ditchmagnet »

I need a driver for the modem. The reason I thought XFCE found the modem was because I saw it listed in device manager. but when I installed gnome device manger it saw the modem too. but there is no driver for the modem. if i run ifconfig there is only the loopback and the eth0. I did get the free driver from linuxeant, and was able to dail out useing gnome ppp but then it never gets to authentication...then gnome ppp locks up. I think a setting may be wrong?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Sorry, it is me being dense, I realise now you want to get a dial up modem working. I thought you were referring to adsl or wireless connections. Have you tried using Chestnut Dialler? It comes with Xfce, not sure about Gnome as I don't use it, but you could always install it if you don't have it.
ditchmagnet

Post by ditchmagnet »

Chestnut dialer keeps crashing as soon as I hit dial. In GnomePPP i was able to get it authenticate, but then the log says:

looks like a welcome message
attempting to run usr/sbin/pppd
dont know what to do
check permissions...and somthing about wvdial.conf

That wasnt word for word of the log, im going off of memory...but something like that. so still cant connect to dial up service. what should I do?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

If something is complaining about wvdial.conf then have a look at it, it lives very near the bottom of /etc. If it looks like mine:

Code: Select all

[Dialer Defaults]
Phone = 
Username = 
Password = 
New PPPD = yes
ie. empty, then that may be your problem, but if you have tried to configure Chestnut or Gnome ppp then there should be something in there because most of these programs are just front ends for wvdial anyway.

Of course if it is empty then your next question is going to be "What do I put in it?" and here is a whole can of worms. Swapping theories about wvdial.conf used to be about as common as variations on xorg.conf a year or so ago, but I thought (hoped) that had gone away, it has for me, but obviously not for you. I can only suggest that if this is the problem (and I don't know that it is for sure) then you do a google search for 'wvdial.conf' along with the model name of your modem and see what you get.

Good luck anyway.
ditchmagnet

Post by ditchmagnet »

I have made my wvdial.conf to look like this:

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 460800
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttySHSF0
ISDN = 0
; Phone = 3064059
; Password = i put my password here
; Username = i put my att email here
and here is my log from gnome ppp:

--> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot set information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT3064059
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATM1L3DT3064059
CONNECT 460800 
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
Level 3 Comm nas157.chi1 UQKT2
Username:/login:/Login:
--> Looks like a login prompt.
--> Sending: myusername@att.net
myusername@att.net
Password: 
--> Looks like a password prompt.
--> Sending: (password)
    Entering PPP Session.
    IP address is 4.159.224.205
    MTU is 1524.
--> Looks like a welcome message.
--> Starting pppd at Tue Mar  3 11:04:37 2009
--> Pid of pppd: 5814
--> Disconnecting at Tue Mar  3 11:04:37 2009
--> The PPP daemon has died: pppd options error (exit code = 2)
--> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
--> I guess that's it for now, exiting
--> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 2)
so thats some progress?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I know so little about wvdial that my advice is almost worthless. All I can do is what you should do, google it. In a short session of that I found two possible solutions that will probably make no difference to you whatsoever,

1) Add the line 'Stupid Mode = yes' to wvdial.conf
2) Try running the dialler as root instead of user.

Maybe have a look here:

http://www.linmodems.org/

or here:

http://hardware4linux.info/type/94/
ditchmagnet

Post by ditchmagnet »

ok, after running gnome-ppp as root it works...after i ping www.google.com and it REALLY slow... I need to find a new driver for it. Thanks for the help

Return to “Hardware Support”