LiLo install; please help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Coaihim

LiLo install; please help

Post by Coaihim »

At this time, I'm running Felicia through NeoGrub (Windows Vista). It's the only way for me to run it, other than Wubi. The problem is that my Jmicron controller won't allow me to run Grub (Bug 897.

So I'm searching for help to install Lilo (or any other bootloader which can be installed to MBR and can find my disk), preferably on my current setup, but if I have to reinstall, I will. I want to get rid of Windows asap.

My current setup is in the attached image.

Any help is much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distoaddict

Re: LiLo install; please help

Post by distoaddict »

i found gujin to be quite useful.This is the link. http://gujin.sourceforge.net/
Fred

Post by Fred »

Coaihim,
The problem is that my Jmicron controller won't allow me to run Grub (Bug 897.
Curiosity got the best of me. I didn't see anything definitive about this bug. Could you point me towards more information? I have a Jmicron controller and I am using Grub just fine with sata drives, (WD and Seagate).

Fred
Coaihim

Post by Coaihim »

Fred wrote:Coaihim,
The problem is that my Jmicron controller won't allow me to run Grub (Bug 897.
Curiosity got the best of me. I didn't see anything definitive about this bug. Could you point me towards more information? I have a Jmicron controller and I am using Grub just fine with sata drives, (WD and Seagate).

Fred
Hi Fred,

I'm sorry, the last digit of the bug didn't show. It's about this bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... /+bug/8978

Thing is that my drive is controlled through a (fake) RAID, my Jmicron controller I presume. I must confess I'm not an expert on these things though. According to some, the fault doesn't lie with Grub, but with the buggy controller. Still, it hasn't allowed me to run (firstly) Ubuntu and now I can't run Mint solo, but only through the Vista bootloader.

Grub gives me error 21, even while installed correctly. It just doesn't find the drive. I tried SuperGrub, which cannot find my drive either.

I would love to hear what the difference is between my setup and yours. Mind that my bios doesn't even seem to find my drives, no succes there either. Strange thing is, Windows has no problems.

Kevin
Coaihim

Post by Coaihim »

distoaddict wrote:i found gujin to be quite useful.This is the link. http://gujin.sourceforge.net/
Thank you for your reply. I will try this as soon as possible.
Coaihim

Post by Coaihim »

I tried gujin, but that doesn´t work either. I still am not able to boot.

My new setup is included. I would like advise on how to install lilo, I read the man page, but I can´t figure it out.

Please advise me what to do.

Return to “Installation & Boot”